• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick PSU question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tombles

Registered
Hi, just a quick question here. I am purchasing a new PSU as my old one is not powerful enough to run my PC as i upgrade it.

The question is will a ATX PSU fit in a mATX case?

Thanks.

edit: sorry should of put this in the right forum ><

It should fit OK. mATX refers more to the size of the board than the PSU AFAIK.

Some of the cases that use the matx mobos use a SMALLER psu unit.

I found this out recently when a client had a huge power spike hit them from powerline being knocked down by a passing delivery truck.

I had to change out 4 power supplies and a bunch of other hardware that got fried. THey had these OLD radio shack line taps and thought they were also good surge protectors, ummm NO!!

Anywho, 2 of the PCs had SMALLER psu units like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159046

I had to order a couple from Newegg, check the physical size of your PSU, it may just the smaller size

David said:
It should fit OK. mATX refers more to the size of the board than the PSU
Nope, microATX is a smaller form factor power supply. A very few microATX cases use standard (PS2 size) ATX power supplies, but this is not a standard configuration and one should assume that you will have to use the smaller micro supply.

Unless one would want to look at their supply and see what size it is. The you wouldn't have to assume, and neither would we.

larva said:
Nope, microATX is a smaller form factor power supply. A very few microATX cases use standard (PS2 size) ATX power supplies, but this is not a standard configuration and one should assume that you will have to use the smaller micro supply.

Unless one would want to look at their supply and see what size it is. The you wouldn't have to assume, and neither would we.

Oh, my bad. Built a mATX rig for my dad's friend a year or two ago and it used a standard PSU.

Thanks for the replies. I just measured up my old PSU and it seems to match up to standard PSU size when i looked up the measurements of one of the Antec PSU's on their website. I am going to buy a standard size PSU and see how that goes, thanks again for help :)

Back