• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 3 Katmai's Good?(Slot 1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

I have a P3 500 Katmai Slot 1 on a Abit BE-6 Mobo
And I have a Golden Orb coming in...

Anything I have to know is this chip good for overclocking?
I've heard this chip has locked its multiplier..
... Help me out here :)

Yup, all Intel processors have, after the P2 ???, locked multipliers. All you can do is increase the FSB.

From what I saw in the CPU Database, the average overclock for this processor is in the 600-620 MHz range.

Hope this helps, and good luck !

your stock heatsink is just as good as the gorb. in your case with the p3 500 it wont go too high so it really doesnt need alot of cooling.

Hmm Im not shure about that I've tried ocing to 560mhz and it just says "Cpu Unworkable Check Soft Menu" Blah Blah Blah....

I dont really know what that means... :/ Anyone help? :)

you wil only be able to reach 550 which is the limits of the manufacuring process, possably 600. if you plan to get a newer cpu anytime do not get a golden orb, they are good for slot 1 cpus becuase there is nothing else but orbs in gerneal are poo

Yep I'm planning to get a new mobo/processor/ram/psu/case sometime in the summer and never will I go back to Slot's (I just bought a slot comp because 2 years ago I knew nothing about computers)

Anyways...

I'll have to wait for now

Well....once uppon a time my P-III 450 (the old katmai core)
reached 124mhz fsb, that means about @550mhz default vcore
and shf...and worked stable on a lousy mobo.
From what i know, the katmai's core o\c limit is arround 600mhz
so with some luck,you can o\c your 500@620 tops,without special
treatment.

My computer isn't stable I'm guessing at 600mhz even...

I maxed the voltaged and stuff even went slowly and crap and then I turned on 3dmark did a few benchmarks and it just resets the comp and sometimes it wont load graphics windows starts giving me the blue screen of death :p

I had a PIII 450 running at 589

When I had an Intel system I had an old Katmai PIII 450 that would run 131 bus giving me 589. I had one rear case fan and was using a Vantec Slot one fan/heatsink much better than a Golden Orb. 124 bus is pretty much a gimme with that chip.

Disable speed error hold set your agp divider to 1/4 or a 1/3. I had a BH6 and it only allowed a 1/3 divider. My BE6-II version 1.0 had 1/4 if I remember correctly and that "overclockers dream of a motherboard " sits in my drawer with 384 pc 133 Infenion ram awaiting another fc-pga sl45y PIII 700.

Watch for a used PIII 700 if you want a good chip, you should be able to find one for $130 if you do some searching, get a slotket and they are usually good for 933, at least mine did it right out of the box. Your BE6 mobo (is it a BE6 or BE6-II) cause if it is the latter it should be good up to a gig chip, easiest way for you to upgrade. Then find some good pc133 ram or pc150 ram and away you go, slap a Radeon 64 DDR vivo in to the system and you are all set again for a while.

Or do like me and get yourself an AMD DDR setup. I plan to build another Intel PIII 700 running at 933 system soon as I fnd that chip used, damn they are good with a Global Win fop32 or alpha fan on em. Do not exceed 2.1 v btw..........

Cisco Kid :cool:

Possibly by the next summer I'll get a new mobo/case/processor/ram/psu/cooling/video card

My comp is really being out dated right now .. :)

If my system and cpu currently run at around 32 degrees when gaming would i really need extra cpu cooling if i overclock a PIII700 from 100 to 133 MHz ??

what sort of temp increases am i likely to get? what should the system run at?

wow, back from the dead thread, this one is about a year old....

700 coppermine? or Katmai?

if its a Katmai, you wont be able to get that CPU to 133FSB without ALOT of luck.....

And as for the temp incress, if it is a coppermine, it should be minimual, unless you have to incress your Vcore that is.

Holy Jebus... and an original Yodums thread at that! Thanks for using the search function though!

AFAIK, they only made PIII 700's in the Coppermine core. And as jay said, I'd guess that temp increases would be minimal, maybe running at 35-37C under load. Unless you have to increase VCore (you might by .05V or so), then I'd expect temps in the low 40's.

jazztrumpet216 said:
AFAIK, they only made PIII 700's in the Coppermine core.

whoops, the cA2 stepping tripped me up, checked intel and didnt think cA2 was a coppermine stepping....
SL3S9 and SL3SY, early ones...
guess i am slipping in my old age :)

kx# = Katmai core
cx# = Coppermine core
tx# = Tualatin core

~600 is about the limit for the katmai packages. And I say packages because the off die L2 ram chips are usually the limiting factor - not the core. If you can come up with a good L2 cache cooling system you should be able to push it higher.

My PIII-500 has run at 600 for three years (24/7) straight now on an Asus P3B-F.

- JW

Back