• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silly question but...is it normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

Just receive my brand new Seasonic S12-600 and thought I'd plug it (all by itself, just using the power cord) to hear how quiet it is. Well nothing happened. Is this normal? Maybe it's suppose to be connected to the mobo in order to actually run?

yes its normal. It has to be connected to the mobo or jumped using a wire. Or if you have a PSU tester handy it'll jump it as well

Stolen from Electron Chaser on how to test a PSU

Get a wire strip each end.(Paper clip works good too) Stick one end into the green wire in your ATX connector. and the other end into any black wire on your ATX connector. Then plug your PSU in to turn it on. Then take a DMM (Digital Multimeter)

To check the voltages using your red lead on your meter place it on your on your 3.3 V (any orange wire) then the black lead to ground (any black wire) then also check your 5V (any red wire) and your 12 Volt rails (any yellow wire) to see what your voltages are. Then unplug it and remove the jumper wire. That is all there is to it.

3DFlyer said:
I wouldn't be jumping on a brand new PSU unless I had to. It's easy to cook one if you cross something up. Hooking up to the system is the better plan. :)

Can buy a PSU jumper at jabtech. It acts like MB header and already has the correct wires jumped for an idiot proof jump.

JT

If you are clumpsy, just hook it up to the motherboard. Spending money on something that you use only one time is not something you want to do. :D

It is also a good idea to give the powersupply some kind of load as it may not start up without one. My Fortron 530W's need a load so I usually hook up a hard drive or two.

moz_21 said:
It is also a good idea to give the powersupply some kind of load as it may not start up without one. My Fortron 530W's need a load so I usually hook up a hard drive or two.

[ot]

Your FSP530s need a load? Mine doesn't. it doesn't regulate properly, but it DOES turn on.

SolidxSnake said:
[ot]

Your FSP530s need a load? Mine doesn't. it doesn't regulate properly, but it DOES turn on.

Maybe that was it. At any rate, I didn't want to risk damage because of improper regulation.

FSBxtreme said:
Spending money on something that you use only one time is not something you want to do. :D

Why not? It is $2 and I have used it several times already. Also it can be adapted for dual psu duty later if needed. It is more secure then just a wire pushed in the ATX plug which is a plus when you are using a DMM to test the voltages on the cable.

Ive had a few times where the jumper wire fell out in the middle of testing. Much easier to plug it in and not worry about it. I tend to play it safe tho. ;)

JT

Back