• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quantity vs Speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KiKaL

Alright I just picked up 2 512mb sticks of OCZ 400mhz 3200 ram. I place it in my system which currently had one stick of Samsung 2700 512mb. What im wondering is would it be smarter for me to take out the Samsung so the sticks run at the faster level? Or would the bigger space make more of a differnce?

well its gonna get a speed hit, because the pc2700 is gonna make all the ram run at that speed. If you board supports dual channel it will also be better to take the pc2700 out. Just sell the other stick.

Its not a dual channel. Im a big gamer so would want the best performance for them. I just dont know if more memory but slower or less memory but faster would be better. Im think the later of the too but don't know. Guess I should download 3d marks and see the performance differnces.

Few games can take advantage of memory over 1GB so go ahead and sell that 2700 on eBay while they're still worth money. :) If you ever need more memory down the road you can get another 3200 and still keep great speed.

It depends on whether or not you use more than 1GB of RAM. When you do, the 1.5GB configuration will run circles around the higher-frequency 1GB config dragging its fat pagefile. If you don't use more than 1GB, the extra RAM won't do anything at all (except slow you down).

Well the main game I am playing right now is WoW and I would like to pick up Battlefield 2 soon. Would those make use of the extra space?

Battlefield 2 will definitely benefit from more RAM, although it wont be "unplayable" with 1gb. runs fine on my setup.

Have you tried running the PC2700 at DDR400 speed?

How are you planning to run your PC3200 at DDR400 at the socket A? Are you going to run it overclocked or with a divider (I'm not sure if you have that kind of dividers at socket A actually)?

the nf2-ultra chipset supports DDR400 and they can run asynchonously (I could have my old 2500+ barton at 166 and the ram at 200 with no problem).

Not really looking to do any overclocking because my system runs insanely hot as is. Basically Im just putting in the ram and letting it do its thing. In the middle of formatting that system so havent had a chance to run 3d marks

You have a 2100+ according to your sig. Keep the extra ram, as anything above that CPU's FSB is useless anyways. The cpu's FSB is no more than 333 anyways so it would be limiting your DDR400 to DDR33 anyways. Might as well keep the extra stick. WoW can use the extra ram, and BF2 deffinately can.

Back