• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused: 6600GT & 6600LE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lucasp

Confused: 6600GT & 6800LE

I have been reading through a handful of posts and I am forced to ask for an explanation.... errrr... well help straighten up some confusion.

6800LE.. chance of unlocking up to 16 pipes and 6 shaders? What is the core and mem specs on this card?

6600GT. Can't unlock it? Stuck with what? 8 pipes and something errr other? 500/1000...

Basically which one of these cards will out perform the other. This is if you receive an unlockable 6800LE.

Last edited:
the LE will always beat even an oced 6600GT, plus if the gt does not unlock, your stuck with a bad card, than if you got the 6800LE. They are so cheap now (130-160) that I would get the LE

The 6600LE is a ramped up 6200 and nothing more. You are better off buying a standard 6600 because unlike the LE cousin it has the full 8 pixel pipes enabled on the core.

The 6800LE is the same thing. Its a castrated 6800NU with 8 instead of 12 pipes.

Overall I would avoid the whole LE series. Its often refered as Lame Edition for the obvious reasons.

I would also look at the x800GT. Both it and the 6600/NU/GT are very promising mid range cards.

I highly discourage people from buying any card with the 'hopes' of unlocking it. If you arent going to be happy with the card in its own rite then dont buy it. What people do is that they blame the company (nvidia) for not giving them an unlockable card because 'everyone elses does' (which is false). Then they RMA the card only to get another one that doesnt unlock.

Eventually they go thru almost a dozen cards without realizing what it does to the vender. All Im trying to say is dont be one of those guys. I see it all the time and it really ****es me off.

Sent I don't even think the user knows what he wants, the title of the thread says 6600gt and le and the title of the intial post says 6600gt and 6800le

Sentential said:
The 6800LE is the same thing. Its a castrated 6800NU with 8 instead of 12 pipes.

Overall I would avoid the whole LE series. Its often refered as Lame Edition for the obvious reasons.
Some good points sen, but I don't totally agree with all of 'em. You forgot taking into account unlocking pipes.
Well, I'm biased because i have a 6800le that unlocks to 16x1, 6vp...and overclocks to a nice 435/945 :p
Anyways, for the performance i get (just 50 memory clocks short of full stock gt speeds, but a faster core) for just $135US (the same model i got is down to $124 at the egg now), the 6800LE is a pretty sweet deal.
I think the majority of 6800LE owners get at least 12 pipes, with one quad unlocked...but yeah, if you're lucky you'll get 16 like me :)
I had a softmoddable 9500, and to me, this 6800le was a better deal with the unlocking and all that.

dicecca112 said:
Sent I don't even think the user knows what he wants, the title of the thread says 6600gt and le and the title of the intial post says 6600gt and 6800le
i think the original poster meant 6600gt & 6800le...he changed his original post

Congrats with you success Lat. I just discourage people from trying because often times people take what you just said literely

"almost all 6800LEs unlock".

Thats just not true. A vast majority of them do not and cannot for a good reason. I know you werent looking to cause harm and neither am I. But what you need to understand is that people will base what you have off of what THEY will get.

When they dont get it they will burn and return until they do.

Yeah, i tend to be biased when i'm lucky and fluke out with a gem :p

Although, I haven't heard of anybody that has gotten a card that doesn't run (with arties albeit) with twelve pipes

I dunno. unlocking, o/cing - it's all a risk anyways. I don't wanna tell people to be foolhardy, but i don't think the chances are vastly against them or anything

Plus, worse comes to worse they don't get the extra pipes - they can still overclock
and the 6800le with 8 pipes/4 vertex isn't that bad against a 6600gt when both are overclocked

Welp I'll prob just order the 6800 LE even if i can't unlock anything on it, it will still out perform my Radeon 9600xt.

Back