• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know why intel does it, but how do they make their boards hold different processors, but not have a place to change the multiplier to allow different procs?

Well, they auto-detect your processor. They use the same technology Asus, Abit, and many other manufacturers use with their DIP switches that have an auto-detect setting so it can auto-detect and then you overclock from the BIOS. Intel just uses something similar and makes sure you can't access yourt clock speed from the BIOS. They basically make it so IT can change the FSB and multiplier to whatever the processor requires, but YOU can't. Again as 6502kid says, if you want 200 more mhz, they want you to buy that processor that's 200 Mhz faster, not overclock your current one to be 200 mhz faster. MAYBE a program called SoftFSB will help you. I have a Dell with an Intel mobo and since they convienently didn't tell me my model number, I don't know which it is, so I can't alter mine. Oh well, it's a 1.8, so it's fast enough (for now... :cool: ).

Thanks for that! I'll have to look that SoftFSB program up and see if it will work for me. I would buy a new motherboard and maybe a new processor, but I need to sell my old one first because I can't afford to buy a new one.

Thanks again
-Joey

:( :( :(
It doesn't work for my motherboard. An Intel VC820. Oh well. I guess I have to find someone to buy this board and get a new one. Money! I need MONEY!

Well SoftFSB is sort of an older program...

Intel boards arent the board to use since you cant oc w/ em :/

They hate overclocking ruins their profit :)

Yeah I know... I just thought there was a hint of hope, now I know for a fact there is no possible way to OC on an Intel Mobo... even an old TC430Hx (socket7), hehe.

MidgetsBro said:
Yeah I know... I just thought there was a hint of hope, now I know for a fact there is no possible way to OC on an Intel Mobo... even an old TC430Hx (socket7), hehe.
There is a ray of hope but all situations are'nt the same. Some folks here talk of the ability to push the front side bus if it isn't maxed out already. An example would be a celeron at 66mhz being run at 100mhz. I've never tried it myself but I've seen threads in this forum of people who did.

I know that my FSB is not maxed out because if you have a different proc, it will go up to 133mhz. It doesn't really matter, I know that I can't do anything with my motherboard.

Back