• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice on $1200 Collge Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZhengHe

Hey, I need advice on the laptop possible for College that can be bought for about $1200 from Dell, right now. It can vary slightly above that price, but not very much so. It will be, being used for Rutgers University and if you like you can go on the colleges website for more information on what it could need, but I need this information almost immediately, so please post immediately. Use your better judgement for what it could need. Thanks.

A 700m is a decent choice, though the screen is a bit small. The 600m has a larger screen and is about .75 pounds more, and is a little cheaper, too.

Too bad that 40% off dell coupon just expired a few hours ago, he is out of luck if that is what he was aiming for.

dre

6000 series is a good compromise. i've bought a couple of them and even overclocked one :p

I have a 700m as well. It's great if you want to carry it around on campus. If it is your sole PC, then I'd say no. Otherwise, it is a powerful, compact machine that gets the job done. I really like how bright the screen is! Be sure you get the extended life battery if you get the 700m.

keep an eye out for slickdeals.net, people have been grabbing 700m's and 6000's this summer for $800. They always have coupons and deals for dell. Also keep a lookout for dell flyers, they have one time use coupons on the last page, most of those are stackable on deals. Get a locking cable too, I go to rutgers in new brunswick/piscataway, my first laptop got stolen there.

I didn't want to scare you off about the crime it's not that bad if you dont wander alone at night or do drugs, probably 95% of the crime is related to people doing that.

If this is a 2nd computer not a desktop replacement, apple has the student deal going on, and the iBooks just got updated. For $899 you get a 1.33GHz g4, 512 333MHz ddr, radeon 9550, bluetooth/802.11g and a free ipod mini or money applied to another ipod. My iBook is the slightly older one with the 1.2GHz g4 and radeon 9200, its slower than any dell would be, but its small, plays ut2004, and I think the ease of os-x is great for mobile use. The only downside is if you want to use windows x86 apps.

Back