• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lapped northbridge... motherboard dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmrivers

first i want to start off with MOTHERFING PENIS SUCKING *****!

ok im good now. so i lapped my NB. I masked it off great everything was fine. i put everything back in. no video. it powers on like normal, no burning or burning smell. it looks like normal but... no video. i have tried everything. just so you know... i have swapped the following with known working parts.

Video Card
Memory
Bios Chip

None of these worked

I have disconneted everything that is not necessary. Nothing. I really think i killed my board. Which is crap because i was immensely careful while lapping. If anyone has any ideas i would love to here them. This really sucks man.

alright... i just tried an old (working) AXP i had in another box. nothing. one thing to note the cpu gets hot. so the system is presumably running. I don't really know what could be wrong.

I tested everything rail coming out of my psu.... everything is normal. i am at a loss. i think this board is really dead. but i don't know how. ill let it sit til tomorrow. i need some advice here guys. i can't rma because i have 1: lapped the northbridge 2: discarded the original northbridge fan 3: sinked the mosfets. So yeah i dont think they would take it. let me know what you think guys.

it was working before you lapped the northbridge? what motherboard is it? there could be alot of reasons why it isnt posting. i donno man. you might of lapped it too far or something.. really sucks.. hopfully we can get this running for you.. also, try resetting the cmos and reseating everything. only try to power on with the video, motherboard, psu, cpu, and ram and see if it goes to the bios screen. also take the battery out and wait for 1 minute. you did have a sink on the chipset, right? it might of just fried itself too maybe.. i donno. lemme know when you have done all these things

EDIT: i read it again.. the first time i assume you said you lapped the NB (meaning the chip itself) did you mean you lapped the heatsink on it?

its an nf7-s v2. and i lapped the actual northbridge itself. I have tried booting with minimal hardware and still nothing. I would expect that if it was dead it would do nothing, but it looks like it is booting. The possibly that my monitor died is there as well. It's been looking like it was going to die for about a year now. But it turns on and shows the "video cable connected" screen. This really sucks.

I let it sit over night with everything out, so i am about to give it a try again. and yeah i had and have a sink on it now.

kmrivers said:
i did the chip. many people have done it. and i was extremely careful. oh well gotta buy a new board. ill try and get it working but doesnt look like its gonna happen.

The chip is by stock about as flat as you can get it.

just out of curiosity, but why would you lap a NB chip?
all the NF2 and NF3 and NF4 NB chips I have seen, once I cleaned the gunk off were like mirrors and pretty damn flat as far as I could tell.

mine have never been like that. anyhow. it works, letting it sit all night did the trick i guess. ill run it tonight and make there is not long term damage. and now i knwo it is completely flat. i lapped it because when i pulled the hsf i put off, it was contacing basically zero. ill keep you updated.

Don't listen to any of those posts up there that say if you lapped the chip it's toast, or it's as flat as it's gonna get, or once you remove the gunk it's a shiney chip.

Those guys obviously have never seen NF2 chipset which is incased in a thick, concave, ceramic coating.

This situation has happened to me. What you do is this. Unplug everything from the board, take out the battery and leave the CMOS jumper in the clear position and get fan blowing on it. This does 2 things, it makes sure the board is completely dry from wetsanding and resets everything do default. Leave that board like that for about 12-24 hours.

Boot the system back up but this time hold Insert. It should boot, go into the BIOS and then load safe defaults and save. Don't let it boot an OS. Let it go to the screen where it's looking for an OS then turn it off. Reset the CMOS with Jumper. Then go in to the BIOS, load Optimized Defaults save and exit. Reboot and tweak to your heart's delight.

It's an NF7 it's not that easy to kill.

Edit: While I was replying you beat me to it.

i didnt think so. i let it sit overnight. but i am going to go ahead and let it sit til later tonight. i turned it on and it booted fine. i was scared for a minute there...whew. The nf7s' price went up from when i bought on newegg... almost 20 bucks. thanks tebore. i had it in my head that those guys were wrong too... but we dont need a flame fest now do we...

kmrivers said:
i didnt think so. i let it sit overnight. but i am going to go ahead and let it sit til later tonight. i turned it on and it booted fine. i was scared for a minute there...whew. The nf7s' price went up from when i bought on newegg... almost 20 bucks. thanks tebore. i had it in my head that those guys were wrong too... but we dont need a flame fest now do we...

Your right, we dont. My board totally stock does 240fsb with 2*512s in dual channel, with cas2 and at 1T The only thing not stock is the bios :) . i can only assume it can only get better if i put in the work by lapping my nb then right? i doubt it, im pretty sure im at the limit of the board.

well... lets see... the heatsink barely touched the damn chip. so why the hello wouldnt i? my hsf is completely flat... the northbridge is not... and i was not going to fill it with as5, because 1: thats a waste of as5 2: thats does more harm that good. i hit a limit on my board... a limit which i didnt think was right... come to find out my NB is too hot. so how do we fix that? Lap it... many people have done it sucessfully... and i can now add myself to the list... and now my hsf sits perfectly flat on the NB... so... the question is why not do it?

Now my question is, what kind of gain did you get? im at 230x11 atm, my board temp is 22c, and cpu temp is 38. when the mobo temp is around 30c, thats when i get problems, ive seen it at 37c, but only because it was like 33c in teh house at the time. and with the temps that high, all it wanted to do was bluescreen. So how much more did you get? last time i checked, you were at 241 2T

well... i am working at it. i havent started playing again. that will be later tonight... i have to put my system back together. i couldnt do 241 memtest stable... but i am starting not to agree with memtest sometimes. i also found a good way to rig my active memory cooling so it should perform a bit better. i was running my NB at 1.7V 238mhz... barely being cooled. I can imagine it was pretty hot.

The only thing i am fuzzy on, is this... if the memory controller is unstable... would that bring a cap to my board and make memtest give me errors. I will get you some results soon. If this doesnt bump me... i will do one of the following. 1. Take it, and rest assured that my NB is cooled just fine which should offer more stability. 2. Volt mod the NB.

how would i find out what is limiting me? is was thining a divider that favors the memory and not the FSB. am i right?

Back