• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expensive brand PSU or Dual generic's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rozal

Banned
Well I have a choice. Should I go out and spend over $50-$80 for a brand new power supply 400-550 watts, or combine my 2 generic power supplies to equal 700 watts for free.

$50 to $80 isn't expensive, it's like average for a decent psu.
Though I can't help you with your problem.

i would much prefer the good single psu...

generics scare me...and if the one powering your mobo kills your mobo, you'd regret it later :p

Well you gotta do what you gotta do with your own budget, but one of those generic PSUs is going to be doing the lion's share of the work, supplying power to your CPU and video card. A 2nd PSU would probably be more useful in the unique circumstance of running alot of peripherals (HDs, fans, pumps, tecs etc) than just trying to split the load of a typical system.

so, instead of risking the chance of one generic PSU shorting and frying your box, you double the chances by adding another ? Sounds like a plan man!

Seriously though, like DeathKinght said, you gotta do what you can with what you have. If you can drop for an FSP or some other good name PSU i would not hesitate. It's good peace of mind for you and your rig.

J.

Unfortunately, crap x2 is still crap. And that Hercules unit definitely qualifies, being a known Deer alias. I'd grab a Fortron AX500-A and be done with it, or consider the alternatives (more expensive though) in the Seasonic S12 500w or OCZ PS520.

3DFlyer said:
Whew, geeez! Deer, Codegen, PowMax. How do these places stay in buisness selling dangerous crap like that. :bang head
Because people keep buying it.

That's the problem. Cheap power supply usually sells better with penny pinching customers. If only they knew cheap power supply now means fried $100 mobo, fried $300 video card, fried $150 HD, and fried $300 CPU in a year or less.

Save $20 and buy questionable power supply now or save over $500 in the future by buying only the known good power supply.

Hmm.. Im guessing my best bet is to buy a new one. But I am feeling uneasy I mean hercules is best for gaming... ie x2, sli, the works

I drive a really old car, haven't bought new pants in five years, my monitors were free because they came from dumpsters, and the most I've paid for a PSU during the past 3-4 years was $25 (and it included a case). But I'd never run a computer from a low quality PSU, period.

Besides there's no need to accept junk because NewEgg.com and Directron.com sell Fortron-Source PSUs for just $20-50 for 300-450W (brands include Fortron, Sparkle, PowerQ, and Hi-Q), and these are amazing bargains because they're first-rate quality.

i would go for a the single PSU.. i've had like 3 or 4 different "generic" PSU"s and they've all seemed to blow up ove the course of 2 months.. along with 1 taking my motherboard with it... yay

Back