• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD powered laptops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

What manfacturers put mobile Athons in the notebooks. I dont want to say that Im cheap but I own stock in AMD and Ive always been happy with their processors, and lets face it, their less expensive. I looked at Dell and Gateways and of course their intel. Any info that you guys could pass my way would be great. And if you know any deals that are going on that would be nice also. Thanks ahead of time.

Turion is much better because it consumes much less power while delivering the same amount of computing power of more power hungry chips.

The Acer Ferrari 4000 series is what I would look at. There isn't a more powerful Turion based notebook out there.

Tebore said:
Turion is much better because it consumes much less power while delivering the same amount of computing power of more power hungry chips.

The Acer Ferrari 4000 series is what I would look at. There isn't a more powerful Turion based notebook out there.

I was just looking at one of those the other day. I'm used to seeing budget, extremely low-end AMD powered laptops. I was shocked to see the specs on that thing.

Athlon vs Turion

I just made a purchase of a Mobile Athlon 64 3700 system. My research shows the Athlon to be faster than the Turion but the Turion has a much lower power draw. I need a computer to carry between locations and as such battery life is not important, though I will give some numbers once I break in my system.

I am a Unix/Linux user so my choice of venders was extremely limited. In the end I bought from Linux Certified, Inc

If I did not have the Linux requirement I probably would have gotten a Ferrari at Sam's club or Walmart. It's definately a good value.

I've had my E-Machines M6805 FOREVER it seems, it was one of the first Mobile A64's to come out and i LOVE it. Been solid since day one, it's the only computer i run 24/7 and has never given my any issues. It's pretty powerful even by todays standards. I bought it the week it came out not knowing how E-Machines was under the new Gateway managment, and it sure did pay off. For an $1100 laptop with the hardware it had at the time, i think i got a steal.

Not sure what they offer now, but just thought i would share my E-Machines experience. I think the Turion's are better now as well. Mine is a 3000+ ClawHammer, so it has that 1mb L2 Cache ;)

Back