• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget Overclocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JakeCourtney

Registered
Okay. I'm building a super cheap PC for my little sister. She will only use this for playing games on the internet and playing the original "The Sims" games. I can get a motherboard combo with either a Celeron D 2.8GHz cpu Prescott, fan, mem for $130 or a Pentium 4 1.6GHz cpu, fan, mem for $140. Obviously the Pentium is higher end, but I was thinking maybe it would be worth overclocking the Celeron. I've seen people overclocking the Celerons to as high as 4.0ghz. Is a overclocked Celeron going to beat a 1.6GHz P4? What kind of fan would be good for overclocking the Celeron? Any ideas to help me out. I have most of the parts already. CD-ROM drive, Geforce Ti 4200 128MB. Thanks

a 1.6ghz p4 or p-m, if it is a p-4 it would have to be a willamette core and very old and genrally not that great. a newer celeron would kill it iirc.

even at stock the 2.8 "D" will be better then the 1.6...and the 2.8 OCs much better..

i'd recommend a AXP-mobile 2500+ paired with a Abit NF7-S mother board. should be about 160 bucks at teh egg (don't get the s2 you want the s rev.2) but 2500+ mobiels are some ofthe best overclockers out there, myne is cooled by a sp-97 i believe and a 92 mm tornado, and i can hit 2.6ghz in the winter

I would look at used parts maybe. After you get 100 posts you can access the classifieds and see all kinds of cheap parts. Personally a cheap Chaintech s754 board and cheap s754 semperon these clock pretty well and would give her the choice of a better CPU alittle bit later on if she wants it.

An even cheaper way would be to get a duron, unlock the cache, and overclock the snot out of it. Here, the cheap motherboard would be even better than the expensive one because it likely has a via chipset. That means you can do the mobile mod and wham unlocked duron =)

I dunno about you but an unlocked tbredb(duron w/full cache) at 2.4-2.6ghz sounds good to me :santa:

Of course, the sempron s754 path is much more upgradable and will perform better, so if you want a budget system thats upgradable, go with that.

Back