• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is PC4800 RAM for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xAndrA

I haven't paid much attention to the fine nuances of RAM lately, so I have been out of it... But now that I'm planning on building a top of the line sytem, I'm trying to pin down which parts would be best... So I came to the RAM part.

Looking at OCZ's platinum line, I noticed a that a few modules were rated higher than PC3200... Yet no DDR-using CPU goes beyond 200 FSB that I know of. So I assumed that the modules above PC3200 were purely for overclocking. But if that's the case... It would mean some systems have reached 300 FSB, to use PC4800 on. Is that even feasible?

Or am I just really out of it? =x

Let me start by saying :welcome: to the forum.

Anyone who is overclocking is running their FSB above 200mhz. So alot of people use DDR that is able to achieve higher speeds enabling them to run CPU:MEM at 1:1. Anything over DDR400 is achieved by raising the FSB OR using a divider. For instance a divider of 3:4(CPU:MEM) respectivly. Just my .02.....Correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding of it :)

RangerXLT8 said:
For instance a divider of 3:4(CPU:MEM) respectivly. Just my .02.....Correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding of it :)
Used to be that way for all platforms, now the divider is much more complicated on A64. You muliply the inverse of the divider to your multiplier, round that result to the nearest whole number, and then divide your CPU clock speed by the result to get your memory frequency.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding, you also see a bit of a performance loss when running a divider other than 1:1. Although, if that's the only way you can achieve higher clocks, then so be it.

pc4800 ram is guaranteed to overclock to 300mhz+ with a given voltage and timings.platinum elites are da bomb, being able to run at 325htt with cas 2.5 1t and a low low 2.8v all enabled at the same time :cool: .pity they are wicked expensive though :-/ (for me, anyway ;) .)

Last edited:
That makes sense. Thanks everyone!

On a random side note, using a divider other than 1:1 never even occured to me when building my current comp, for that matter... So I've been running a lot of PC100 RAM at 133 FSB. ;)

Back