• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good hardware firewall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

I'm tired of using ZoneAlarm as my firewall, although I appreciate the fact that it will ask to grant or deny permission for any process to access the internet.
What are the good hardware firewalls today? I have an older cable modem that coudl be replaced too if the best product is an integrated modem+firewall. I don't mind going wireless as well.

Last edited:
If you have an old pc lying around, you could always use smoothwall and configure your own firewall. Much cheeper than buying one.

Lee

if you want something decent, you can pick up used 1u hardware firewalls on ebay for pretty cheap. The only problem is you usually have to have a subscription agreement with the maker to get the software to configure it. If you can get that software included, just about anything will work well for minimal traffic.

Linksys routers seem to be the most popular brand here and seem to perform very well and you would prolly do well with one. These will range from ~$40+ Wired being cheaper.

I agree with Fuzzy Bunny. I have 2 Linksys routers with the firewall, and they seem to do the trick with ease. The WRT54G has TONS and TONS of firmwares avalible to allow all kind of crazy stuff. I just run the stock firmware in both routers, along with Windows SP2 Firewall, Kaspersky AV, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Blaster - and I have yet to be attacked with this setup. I really think my main improvement was ditching Norton AV in favor of Kaspersky Personal 5.0 (norton let in quite a few attacks - especially Java stuff), but a hardware firewall is positively a great idea IMO...

:cool:

Back