• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neo2 CPU temps lower w/ 1.36 vs. 1.80 bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raillex

Registered
I realize you always have to take MB sensor readings with a grain of salt, but it appears that my SD's CPU temps actually dropped by ~ 4C at idle and under load simply by switching from the 180NFM(Rev.3)1T bios to the 136NFM(Rev.4)1T bios while - get this - running 0.05 more volts (1.65 vs. 1.60) than the 180NFM at a higher HTT frequency. Can this be even remotely possible? If it isn't just a misreporting bug, I might try bumping my VID a little further to see whether I can wring a few more MHz out of this chip.

actually some have reported they have the best oc's with the 1.36 bios's, i personally use the 1.9 just for laughs, they're all pretty much the same from what i've seen, hopefully they make a 2.0

Raillex said:
I realize you always have to take MB sensor readings with a grain of salt, but it appears that my SD's CPU temps actually dropped by ~ 4C at idle and under load simply by switching from the 180NFM(Rev.3)1T bios to the 136NFM(Rev.4)1T bios while - get this - running 0.05 more volts (1.65 vs. 1.60) than the 180NFM at a higher HTT frequency. Can this be even remotely possible? If it isn't just a misreporting bug, I might try bumping my VID a little further to see whether I can wring a few more MHz out of this chip.

I have found that with my Neo2 all the bios after 1.5 the temp scale changed a bit. Around a 5 degree increase over what it read 1.5 and below. I wish I knew for sure which was more accurate. How's that new 1.36mod running with your San Diego? Any problems? I may give it a try since the 1T fix is in it.

I knew it was too good to be true.

The NFM 1.36 1T works just as well as the 1.8 version with the added benefit of more vcore options. As far as my SD goes, I'm afraid I got one of the feeble 55C MaxTCase chips discussed in this thread. I was sort of hoping to get a 3700+ that could do 2.8 GHz on air, but I guess I'll just have to live with this one. My RAM poops out at 277 HTT 8-3-3-3 anyway, so the good news is that at 10X273 I'm only 40 MHz away from the frequency I would have probably settled on even if had I gotten one of the "good" ones.

What's the MaxTCase on your chip?

Last edited:
I checked out the thread you linked and ran the utility, this is what I got:

CPU Information (CPU #1):
Standard CPUID: Family: F, Model: 7, Stepping: 1
Extended CPUID: Family: F, Model: 27, Stepping: 1
CPUID String: 20F71
Processor APIC: 0
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego)
CPU Speed: 2805.11 (255.01 x 11.0)
Revision: SH8-E4
Platform: Socket 939
Startup VCore: 1.400v
Maximum Case Temperature = 59C

Mine is a CABGE 0515VPMW.

Last edited:
Holy Cr_p! 59C? You definitely have a keeper with that one. Very nice and something tells me you'll be able to run circles around almost every SD out there, including some FX57's. What'll she do, if you don't mind my asking?

Back