• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PUDBUDZ

I am running a P4 1.8GHz with 512megs of PC800 on a Asus P4T Mobo.
I installed a water cooler on my CPU and my Video card CPU.

Question 1...When I try to go higher than 112 buss speed ans exit saving changes it reboots and goes back to bios....Whats the deal?

Question 2...Is it worth taking heat shields off ram and installing heatsinks or water cooling sinks on them?

Question 3...Im running CPU temp at 30C/86F with no load....This ok?....How do I check with full CPU load?

Any Info, Criticism, or Help will be appreciated!!!

Thanks

PUD

Thanks for all the input people!!!

Hope you dont need me any time soon!!!

PUD

first of all- Welcome to the forums!

second of all-
calm down there buddy. Your post has been up for only one day- sometimes it takes a while. It doesn't help that all 3 of your questions can be answered by simply reading the articles on the front page. That's what they're there for!

Here's my opinion on your questions-

1. Your system is simply not stable beyond 112 FSB. The weird quad-speed FSB on P4s makes OCing them somewhat iffy, depending in the board you are using. Try beter cooling on the CPU and chipset. 112FSB is not bad at all however, IMHO. Also, that should be up in the 2Ghz+ range, right? That is more or less the max anybody anywhere has gotten a P4. Be happy with it!!:)

2. Nope. RAM chips, even fast overclocked ones, put out very little heat. Besides, RAM is manufactured differently than a CPU- it's overclockability is based on it's build quality much more than it's temperature.

3. 30C under no load is sort of high, but not too bad. To test it under full load, goto the "Folding at Home" section of this forum and download the F@H client. Besides possibly finding a cure for cancer, it will run your CPU at very nearly full load. Fold for an hour and then check your temperature. If you get a satisfactory temp after an hour of folding, you should be fine. F@H puts much more strain on your CPU then you are likely to put on it yourself during normal operation. I'd also reccomend 3DMark 2001, availible at MadOnion.com, it is a great way to stress test the video subsystem of your machine and looks cool as heck too!:D

Hope that helped- remember we are all in this for fun. Nobody meant to insult you by not answering your question immediately. Hope you stay to hang out and share tips and stuff with us-

-the monster

I'm only able to answer one question since I'm not farmiliar w/ P4 :D

Anyways for a full load download Seti/Folding @ home
Get 3d Mark 2001 and SiSoft Sandra and crank up the burn in wizard and turn on the temperature and you'll see it rise up ..

Sorry about the attitude....My new underwear were a little tight...:D

Thank you for your help...

PUD

2016 dosen't sound to bad to me, that is about the max in the CPU database also. might try and raise the Vcc up a little(unless you already have) default is 1.7 i think might try 1.75 or even 1.8 if temps are stable, you might be able to pull a little more out of it that way, looks like the 1.7 is a little nicer to O/C, might see what you can get out of it on E-Bay and get a 1.7 they hit up to 2.2, I did this with my celly1 466 and sold it for enought to get a celly2 600 that will clock up to 1054 not a bad free upgrade. one more thing to try what vid do you use might be your add on cards what is your PCI and AGP divider @ 2/3 puts you @ 74mhz that may be a little high for some of your cards, just a few thoughts I could be wrong, hopw this was helpfull, if not ignore it.

Thanks for the info....i did up the core voltage a bit and it seems to be more stable now. As for trading up for a 1.7....whats different about the 1.7 that makes it more overcloclable?

Aslo do you know the difference in sockets....423 to 478...
I have the 423 with the ASUS P4T...my buddy has the 478 with an Abit....his bios lets him change the multiplier....i thought this was locked by Intel?

Thanks for your help,

Pud

All Intel CPUs nowadays should have locked multipliers. I'm not sure why your buddy can change multipliers on his CPU, but my guess is that it doesn't actually do anything. If for some reason it is unlocked, he has a super rare "engineering sample" that the general public is not supposed to have.

The difference between socket 423 and socket 478 is the number of pins used on the CPUs. They are not interchangeable. The older 423 pin CPUs are nearly obsolete and will be soon phased out.

I don't think the 1.7 gig is that much of a better overclocker than the 1.8 gig since they both use the same core, except the 1.7 gig has a slightly lower multiplier which might make it a little easier to hit a higher FSB. Not enough to justify trading CPUs, in my opinion.

Besides, like several guys already mentioned, 2.0 to 2.1 gig is about the average maximum speed for your CPU. That's a good overclock, be proud.

I looked to the CPU DB for that info the

1.7 averages 2066 and toped at 2312

while the:

1.8 averages 2052 and toped at 2070

I did just notice that thear wes only 3 entry's for the 1.8 that may have somthing to do with it.

Back