• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this ram work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WillJitsu

I'm upgrading my system by getting a new motherboard, memory, and video card. I already decided on the motherboard (ASUS P4P800 SE) and video card (nVidia 6800GT). I don't plan on overclocking my CPU at all, but I'll probably overclock the video card. Since I won't be overclocking the processor or memory, will it be just as good to order something like this to save some money:

mushkin Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model 991145 - Retail

I know the speeds are much slower than some of the other ram available, but am I correct in thinking I won't notice any difference with faster ram since I won't be overclocking?

You should be just fine with that RAM if you don't plan to OC at all and even if you do you can always use dividers if you are limited by the RAM.

You would see a slight difference in benchmarks if you were to run faster RAM like PC4000 becaue your FSB would be higher and it would drop your multiplier, but if you wanted to see a real increase performance wise then you will need to raise your CPU clocks.

If I decided to overclock my 2.4c processor, would I need to go ahead and buy PC4000 ram or is PC3200 sufficient?

WillJitsu said:
If I decided to overclock my 2.4c processor, would I need to go ahead and buy PC4000 ram or is PC3200 sufficient?

Like I said before if your RAM doesn't OC well you can always use dividers.

RedDragonXXX said:
Like I said before if your RAM doesn't OC well you can always use dividers.

I thought that it was always best to run the processor and ram 1:1 instead of using dividers. Am I wrong?

WillJitsu said:
I thought that it was always best to run the processor and ram 1:1 instead of using dividers. Am I wrong?

prolly wont happen with "value" ram though

Alright I've changed my mind. I'm either getting the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe or the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe mobo (any reason to go with the better one?). I'm gonna keep my 2.4c processor and I do plan on overclocking. I'd like to have 1 GB of ram. Which ram do I need to get in order to be able to overclock that processor quite a bit?

I'm looking at:

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail - $123
Timing: 2-3-3-6

Will that handle a good overclock for my processor or do I need something better?

Back