• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update trough Firefox? Now you can!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice.

I wonder how long this will last though...since it looks like it gets passed the genuine advantage tool...

The only use I would have for this would be so I could get rid of IE, but I don't think I can trust that it will be around for as long as I will need Windows Updates.

Certainly a good find, and hopefully it will stay up and allow users of alternative browsers to update without IE.

I think I would stick with IE for windows update for reliability reasons. I would hate to start updating windows sytems files and then lock up due to a plugin issue. But if anyone tries it, report back to us.

telexen said:
Nice.

I wonder how long this will last though...since it looks like it gets passed the genuine advantage tool...

You can bypass the tool in IE too, there is an option to disable the plugin. Windows Update works just fine with it disabled, but just gives a warning that it is disabled. Prety pathetic attempt at security.

If I was stuck and couldn't get any updates any other way...this would be great.

I've got total legit stuff and don't mind using IE7 so much.

I will pass this link along though, thanks. Looks interesting and I'm rather curious if M$ will have this shut down somehow.

ErikD said:
You can bypass the tool in IE too, there is an option to disable the plugin. Windows Update works just fine with it disabled, but just gives a warning that it is disabled. Prety pathetic attempt at security.
FTLOG!!! HOW???

SlipViper said:
FTLOG!!! HOW???
Right before you select custom or express, past this code into your address bar.
Code:
javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')
I can't personally test it because my copies are totally legit, but I've been told it works.

BTW, I did try it for giggles on a legit box and it went through.

Just click tools: manage add-ons, show: add-ons that have been used by IE, then click windows genuine advantage tool and click disable. Close IE and go update your heart away

snafumaster said:
Right before you select custom or express, past this code into your address bar.
Code:

lololol

snafumaster said:
Code:
I can't personally test it because my copies are totally legit, but I've been told it works.

BTW, I did try it for giggles on a legit box and it went through.

it worked :)

Found some info: thanks all!!

I tried these two together, just in case, and it works!!

1. Follow these instructions in IE:
Tools
Manage Add-Ons...
In either 'Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer' or 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer'
Locate and select "Windows Genuine Advantage"
Then select the 'Disable' radio button
OK

2. When you get to:
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
Where you have to choose between 'Express' and 'Custom' buttons:
Before pressing the desired button, paste: javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') in the address bar and press enter.
( I don't think I pressed enter, I think I just put that in the address bar and clicked 'Express')

uhhh, is there an echo?

I already stated that above.

And the second part is completley useless...you don't need it.

Back