• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How and what should I upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonas007

2.4C @ 3.2ghz
9800 Pro
1gb Gskill ram
Abit IS7-E mobo

For awhile I was thinking about upgrading my proc/mobo/video card so that I can get PCI-E. My original plan was to get a DFI mobo, I believe an Athlon 3800 proc, and a 6600 GT. All this would run about $450. Someone then suggested that I just get the fastest AGP card that I can since the proc and vid card wouldn't be that big of an upgrade. Instead it was suggested to me that I would see a bigger jump in performance by getting one of the X800 line of cards.

So, should I spend the $450 on upgrading to a PCI-E system with a small jump in performance, or should I stick with the AGP set up and enjoy a huge leap in performance?

I'd have to agree, a 6600GT will not make that much of difference. Although an Athlon64 will be faster than a P4 in games, especially if you OC it, you'll probably be better off with just getting a faster video card, it'd be about the same price but will perform much better.

It's up to whenever you feel you'll need to upgrade it again. Getting a PCI-E set will be much more helpful for the future. But, if you get the AGP cards, you'll be able to do great gaming for about the next year or two. I'd recommend you get the PCI-E set, to be much more futureproof and if you save up a few more hundreds in the future, you'll have enough to upgrade to a better video card.

Anyways, did you know the 6800GTs are dropping to prices of around $199 soon?

Back