• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clock for Clock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T_Ravis

Registered
After reading ericcases thread I have to ask then... I started out buying a 3000 and getting less than 2250 stable, I got alittle irrititated and next dayed a 3700 sandy, motherboard, and P.S and got 2670 @ 1.55 stable(now) but unable to go higher even at a V. core of 1.7 on either motherboard stable (super PI & prime 95 12 hours.) Would I have been better just ordering 3 different 3000's from 3 different places then ordering a 3700 clock for clock? I'm sorry if the question is dumb but I'm coming from intel presshot and Asus easy overclock. On my Intel I picked up a water cooler and set it at 20% over clock and magic a 3.6 chip. I don't understand more then what I have read here and still working at understanding timing. It seems that its mostly just personal in what you decide but I would like to know mathmaticaly which is more cost effective. I'm not really worried so much about the money more about making a wise descion. I think I'm still gonna order another 3000 from a small shop instead of newegg looking for a non revision E venice chip. A side note anyone near the Chicago Land area know of a shop where I could hand select a chip?

have you been reading the o/c'ing guilds for A64? A common mistake that people make when jumping from intel to A64 is that they neglect the HTT multiplier. Lower that to 3x or so on your 3000+ venice and you should get a better overclock. The same applys for the san diego. The san diego will outperform the 3000+ due to it's 1mb cache, where as the 3000+ has 512kb cache. Try taking your ram out of the equation, and putting a big divider on memory, something like 133 or even 100 in some cases, to see what your chip can really do, then play with memory after. It takes time to learn the settings, but once you get them down, it should be as simple as abc.

ryufreak said:
have you been reading the o/c'ing guilds for A64? A common mistake that people make when jumping from intel to A64 is that they neglect the HTT multiplier. Lower that to 3x or so on your 3000+ venice and you should get a better overclock. The same applys for the san diego. The san diego will outperform the 3000+ due to it's 1mb cache, where as the 3000+ has 512kb cache. Try taking your ram out of the equation, and putting a big divider on memory, something like 133 or even 100 in some cases, to see what your chip can really do, then play with memory after. It takes time to learn the settings, but once you get them down, it should be as simple as abc.

Ryufreak,
I have read through all the stickies which are great. I used the Easy as 1,2,3 overclocking sticky lowering the HTT multiplier to 3 and SPID to 100 then setting Vcore to 1.65 and multipler to 9(venice) and 11(San Diego) and pushed the FSB until I couldn't boot then backed it down until I could Super PI and Prime95 stable it. Which from what I have read takes memory out of the picture. I'm sure my memory is poorly set because I have used auto setting for it currently at 190.9MHz Cas 3.0 Ras 3 Tras 8 Trc 11 Dram 16 for 4 sticks @512 but I don't fully understand it yet but will keep working at it. I'm pretty happy with the Sandy but think it's like EQ for me atm (just can't stop thinking about it lol.)

Well with me going from ASUS to DFI its like learning to oc all over again, so many new options and things. I like to take it one step at a time like perviously posted, take everything out of the equation and work with one thing. I personally wouldint push the HTT untill I can't boot then back off, I feel much more comfotable if I push it up slowly untill I can no longer prime.

ryufreak said:
have you been reading the o/c'ing guilds for A64? A common mistake that people make when jumping from intel to A64 is that they neglect the HTT multiplier.

Mmm just what I was thinking.

I'd suggest finding a A64 Overclocking article, preferibly a Venice Overclocking article, that would be of great use.

Back