• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reinstalling Windows is 2nd Drive Safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kj4ta

I want/need to reinstall Windows XP Pro on my C drive (of course) but have lots of info, music, games, pics on my D drive. Will reinstalling on C mess up the D drive? Will I still be able to use the games that are loaded on D or will they too need to be reistalled.

The reason I ask is that there is so much stuff on D that it would be a real pain to backup ALL of it up. My main concern is the music files.

TIA

if you have stuff on the drive D and install windows on drive C, installation won't effect drive D. Just make sure that you are not installing on drive D or won't delete drive D

meionm said:
if you have stuff on the drive D and install windows on drive C, installation won't effect drive D. Just make sure that you are not installing on drive D or won't delete drive D
It won't affect any of the data on drive D; however, most programs write information to the Windows registry. Therefore, when you reinstall Windows on C:, some programs installed on D: may not work properly. This is why I prefer to make one drive/partition for OS and applications, and another drive/partition for file/document storage only.

Back