• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking my amd 1000mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NikKroha

here is my situation. i don't know much about overclocking but whenever i try to overclock it up to 1100, it always loads a default windows system screen saying that i have a bad registration file and it needs to be replaced. after it replaces it or whatever it does, it restarts and i have to reinstall everything. please help with this problem, or tell me if its normal. thanks a lot guys

Nik Kroha

That's a sure sign that your cpu cant take the speed. Are you using FSB or multiplier to overclock. Also what kind of cooling you have, your motherboard and the codes off your CPU top would all be helpful, any of this you can provide can help us zero in on what you need to fix, also is it a 200mhz chip or a 266 version, my 1ghz/266 AXIA chip runs all day at 1450 (it even runs decent at 1500 but prime95 pukes which means its not 100% stable)

okay, i am using the multiplier to overclock, i don't really know how to change the fsb. which one is better? i have a "cooler master" cpu fan which i think is probably 30mm, a "colorful CDBRUSHLESS FAN" which i think is 60mm, a dinky little 15mm "ARX CPU COOLER" fan, and my GeForce 2 fan. i have a A7V-133 motherboard, and i have the AMD TBIRD 1000mhz cpu and i don't think it is 233mhz, i thought it was 133mhz, but it could be 200mhz. the highest i have ever been able to get it overclocked and run without problems through start up is 1050mhz, if that helps any. and i use asus probe, and my temp at 1000 is a constant 131 on my cpu and a constant 89 on my motherboard. running at 1050 its the same. thanks for the help again

Ok well first off your temps are definately on the high side, the motherboard temp is ok (if I did the Celsius to Farenheit math correctly, lol, I live in the US but only think of CPU temps in degrees C...) Id recommend getting a better heatsink as your first course of action. Also once you get better cooling you can up the core voltage of your chip to 1.85 volts instead of the standard 1.75 for more stability at higher O/C speeds. My AXIA 1ghz chip is about indestructible and didnt crap out at 1470mhz at 60C (long story, but the computer was still running fine...) but if you have an older revision code your chip could be a mediocre overclocker. How long ago did you get it?

okay, the temps in celsius are 52 for the cpu and 33 for the motherboard. what kind of heatsink fan should i get and about how much should i spend? and how do you up the core voltage? i really know nothing of overclocking. i got my whole computer around the middle of june, and it was pretty top of the line then, it was when the p-4's were just up to 1.4ghz and amd's were up to 1.2ghz

If your a7v-133 is a rev1.05 <most from that period i think should have been?> you can go into the bios setup and on the screen with the speed adjustments theres also a option titled something like "CPU core voltage" and its set at auto or default or something like that, you can pick change and it will give you a set of choices right below it, change it to 1.85. I like my new Alpha PAL 8045, it was about 50 bucks with a good Sunnon fan, its quiet and runs cool. You can pick it up from PCNut...the only problem is this heatsink does require removing your motherboard, so if your not up to that task id go with something like the millenium glaciator that uses a more simplistic clip, pcnut carries this as well.

Okay, my core voltage was set to 1.50v and i set it up to 1.85. what would be a safe overclocking speed that i could get up to? should i change the fsb or the multiplier? how do you change the fsb, and which one is better to do? sorry for all the questions, but i just want to get as much information out of you that i can, you seem to know what your doing! thanks again

Alot depends on the age of the chip but anywhere from 1200 to 1400 is doable. The easiest way <especially if you have a 200 mhz chip> is to use the FSB, right above where you changed the core voltage in the bios should be a system operating frequency, this is the FSB adjustment

Ok, well, I have a 1Ghz processor that will run at 1.2 max, I have tried to use the bus to OC it but as you all know, the KT133 chipset just plain sucks at that, so I have settled with using the multiplier at 12x, but as far as I know, my MB (very similar to yours) doesn't support changing the multiplier in the BIOS, so look in your MB manual as for changing those settings with the dip switches on the MB, with your MB, it's perfectly ok to up the FSB.

okay, i was actually overclocking before with the fsb, i just didn't know what i was doing, sorry for the misinformation. last night i tried overclocking to 1.2ghz with the fsb, and multiplier at 10.0x, and the core voltage at 1.85, my computer got out of bios and made some high pitched whirry noises, then just stopped, the power was still on, but it didn't load up at all. i shut my computer off by holding the power button for four seconds and then turned it back on two to three minutes later and it loaded just fine but it still ran at 1000mhz and all the changes i made in bios were back to the default. so i really don't know what the heck is going on, but it would be nice to know.

oh yeah, i have a "VIA Apollo KT133AChipset" off of my motherboard manual. just thought it might be important

1ghz is pretty fast though right? you don't need to overclock? heh, man i hate computers.

Nik Kroha

Last edited:
okay, so i looked some more and found the dip switches and i have two "dip switch boxes" or something and each one has five switches with the "on" and "off" setting on each switch. they are labeled "DSW" and "DSFID" in my motherboard manual. which switches would i have to turn on to on, and on which "dip box thing" to get my cpu multiplier up to 12x? thanks a lot for your help guys

Nik Kroha

yeah, umm....just posting something so it gets back on the main page so my questions will be answered.

Nik Kroha

Back