• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to use DVI adapters ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

I have a ViewSonic VA720 that has a DVI output and also my ATI x800XL has the DVI adapter. Just curious is there any benefits to using these adapters ? I normally just throw them out and use the standard plugs/connector.

did a goggle didnt come up with much info on them.

wops, my LG has the DVI but this monitor doesn’t have a DVI output. Should i still use adapter on the video card side or should i just trash it? As i understood it if the LCD monitor doesn't have a DVI output then the adapter serves no purpose but i am not sure.

DSM4Life said:
wops, my LG has the DVI but this monitor doesn’t have a DVI output. Should i still use adapter on the video card side or should i just trash it? As i understood it if the LCD monitor doesn't have a DVI output then the adapter serves no purpose but i am not sure.
I think you have input and output mixed up. the video card has outputs, a moniror has inputs. I don't really understand what you are askign though. If the LG doesn't have a DVI input then you have to use an adapter.

DSM4Life said:
I have a ViewSonic VA720 that has a DVI output and also my ATI x800XL has the DVI adapter. Just curious is there any benefits to using these adapters ? I normally just throw them out and use the standard plugs/connector.

did a goggle didnt come up with much info on them.

Throw them out!? Heh, don't do that, sell them! My friend had to buy one the other day, and the cheapest he found was around $25.

Sorry to confuse. The monitor doesnt have the DVI port , only the video card does. Even if i use the DVI adapter would i just use it on the monitor side ? or on both the monitor and the video card ?

Right now how i have it setup (testing) is standard plug coming from the monitor then the DVI adapter to the video card.

25.00 really ? haha never even thought of that.

Usualy, you should use the Analog output unless your monitor has a DVI input, in which case you want to use DVI. Most people use the adapter so they can hook up 2 monitors to their card.

I wouldn't throw them out, like Yuri said, you can sell them or if you know, when you throw something out, you find out you need it. Stupid laws...What I think he is asking, is will it improve the quality of the picture on your monitor or will do anything?

The only reason to have a DVI to VGA adapter is if your monitor(s) only accept VGA. I.e. you want to run 2 CRT monitors and most cards have one DVI and one VGA output, use the DVI to VGA and you can run your 2 CRT's.

If possible you ALWAYS want to run DVI, there is no performance gain when using a DVI-VGA adapter.

Whoa. Kevin007...I could have sworn Yuriman double posted there. You both live in the same place and have the same icon. Are you two related somehow?

DVI=DVI always - many people haev stated a crisper better picture and less ghosting if present =- why go digital - analogue - digital :)

but in your ase since your LCD only has VGA (analogue) use that

Yamiyanazz said:
Whoa. Kevin007...I could have sworn Yuriman double posted there. You both live in the same place and have the same icon. Are you two related somehow?

Heh, he has been using my avatar for quite a while now. But don't be fooled by my look-alike! He is my mother's boyfriend's son. Kinda sorta related.

I think I get what you mean.

You have the following:
Monitor: VGA slot
Video card: DVI and VGA slot
Adaptor: DVI and VGA adaptor

Most people would always use DVI since it's usually a tad better looking, but since you only have the adaptor, it might not make a difference. But I'd still use the adaptor and try to make it semi-DVI.

darksparkz said:
.... But I'd still use the adaptor and try to make it semi-DVI.

er... "semi-DVI"? Sorry, there is no such thing. It's kinda like being semi-pregnant! Either you are or you are not. :p

I say just use the analog out and throw that adapter in your spare parts drawer or something.

FoxBat said:
er... "semi-DVI"? Sorry, there is no such thing. It's kinda like being semi-pregnant! Either you are or you are not. :p

I say just use the analog out and throw that adapter in your spare parts drawer or something.
Correct, and good suggestion. I just bought DVI cable for my LCD, and I can't tell the difference from VGA and DVI; the only thing that is at all different that I can notice, is when I change resolutions, I no longer have to hit the Auto Adjust button :p

:confused: wow...what a confusing thread!!!!
How to make a simple problem much more complicated...*(see above)* lol j/k

DVI = Crisper Clearer. I have an LCD with only analog, and I just use the analog port on my 6800GT. It's easier to connect and it doesn't make any difference in quality vs using the DVI adapter to connect an analog to the DVI port.

Back