• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single SATA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micros

Registered
I set up a single SATA on the Promise Controller and in the operating mode in the BIOS is IDE. Do I want that? and also in the Device Manager, Raid Controller has a ?-mark and says is not working properly. WindowsXP is running however(its what Im on) Do I use Raid-0 with a single drive? Could you guys/girls explain to me how to properly set up my drive, or do I have it set-up properly already? Thanks
Also I didnt install the Raid Drivers from the Via 4in1's cause I didnt think I need'em(Its workin right now but I wanna make sure Ive got everything set up properly, to avoid problems in the future, you know) Thanks.

OK Update: I installed the VIA 4in1 Raid driver and that fixed the ?-mark in the Device Manager but I think its for the Via SATA controller(not sure). But Id still like you to confirm that I have my drive set-up OK in my BIOS for the Promise set up. Kinda new to this Raid thing. Thanks again

Last edited:
Hi and :welcome: to the forums :)

If you told the SATA controller to act like for single drive rather than RAID, and you installed the drivers for it (to remove the ?-mark) then it looks to be working OK. If the drive doesn't appear in 'My Computer' yet then you need to go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management and right click on the empty space on your drive in the dialog and create and format a partition.

Thank you
OK sorry for the late response, just got home from work. On the Asus site they had Promise Raid drivers and Promise SATA drivers. I just downloaded & installed the SATA ones being that I only have 1 drive (Raid is more than 1 right?). In my BIOS I have the Promise set to IDE mode insted of RAID mode(got that from this site), that was also the only way for windows install to see the drive. But now that I got windows running and it knows its there, do I leave it IDE or switch it to RAID-0? Its running great right now on IDE. I got the question mark fixed by installing the Via 4in1's Raid driver, but the RAID utilty doesnt see anything but I think thats because I dont have it setup as RAID, is that right? Under Device Manager>SCSI & RAID Controllers>I now have, VIA SATA RAID Controller & WindowsXP PromiseSATA378(tm)IDE Controller. Im thinkin I can uninstall the VIA RAID cause it was working w/out it and somehow disable the ?-mark? Sorry for the noobie questions Im new to the Promise RAID thing. Thanks for your help so far.
Oh and I checked out what you said, my drive is there and working. And in my device manager I just noticed Im able to disable the VIA SATA Raid controller, should I do that? It was working before I even installed it.

Update: I disabled VIA SATA RAID Controller w/out any problems. I assume I have everything correctly , Im think Im using Promise SATA/IDE Controller and I dont use Raid for a single drive.?. Correct me if Im wrong.

Last edited:
micros said:
In my BIOS I have the Promise set to IDE mode insted of RAID mode(got that from this site), that was also the only way for windows install to see the drive. But now that I got windows running and it knows its there, do I leave it IDE or switch it to RAID-0? Its running great right now on IDE.
If I recall correctly, I believe that the Promise controller will pick up your SATA whether it is set to "RAID" or "IDE." However, if it's working then you might as well leave it.

I got the question mark fixed by installing the Via 4in1's Raid driver, but the RAID utilty doesnt see anything but I think thats because I dont have it setup as RAID, is that right?
Correct.

Under Device Manager>SCSI & RAID Controllers>I now have, VIA SATA RAID Controller & WindowsXP PromiseSATA378(tm)IDE Controller. Im thinkin I can uninstall the VIA RAID cause it was working w/out it and somehow disable the ?-mark?
If you uninstall the VIA RAID driver, Windows will "complain" about it the next time you boot up. (You'll see the little tool tip balloon at the bottom telling you there's new hardware and a window will appear for you to install the driver.) This is because the VIA RAID controller is built into the south bridge of the motherboard and cannot be disabled in the BIOS like the Promise controller can.

Sorry for the noobie questions Im new to the Promise RAID thing. Thanks for your help so far.
Oh and I checked out what you said, my drive is there and working. And in my device manager I just noticed Im able to disable the VIA SATA Raid controller, should I do that? It was working before I even installed it.

Update: I disabled VIA SATA RAID Controller w/out any problems. I assume I have everything correctly , Im think Im using Promise SATA/IDE Controller and I dont use Raid for a single drive.?. Correct me if Im wrong.
Correct, RAID is for two or more drives. . . . And disabling the VIA SATA RAID Controller should be fine. Just don't bother trying to uninstall it.

Thanks for your help and clearing all that up for me. Excellent site, Iv learned a-ton already. :thup:

Last edited:
Back