• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duke$ter

Registered
Hello,

I'm planning on getting a Venice 3000 or 3200 and I want to overclock it. From what i ve seen so far, DFI are excellent boards but would you suggest this board to an OC noob? Is the manuall well documented?

Thanks

Duke

The manual is the worst I've seen for a motherboard. The DFI is the best NF4 board for overclocking and to get it up and running is easy. All the information required to get the most out of the board is available on these forums. Get the DFI and you will not regret it.

Okay, but let me warn you that you will be seeing quite a bit of me :)

Does the board have an optimal defaults setting to get everything running at normal speeds before OC? I would like to slowly get familar with it before jumping into the cold water?

Of course it does have the optimized setting / stock setting within bios.
Excellent board ( one of the top ) for AMD. Got my Venice 3000+ @2.47 stock.
There are many many stickies about this board for the best setup you can find out there.

Do Not Get This Motherboard

Things to know about DFI:
Their American website is non-existant
Their Taiwanese website is broken
The manual has no BIOS settings information
They have no phone support

This motherboard has caused me more grief than any other motherboard I have ever owned, and I'm not the only one that is having this problem. This thread is about the exact same problem I'm having. Thread. And it's not like I'm just having bad luck with one motherboard. This is the second DFI UT Ultra-D I have. The first one did the same thing too. If you have more than 1 memory module, you won't get the thing working. What's more, is that I have to reset the CMOS every time I restart my computer or it just stays at a blank screen and if I change anything in the BIOS, it does the same thing.

On top of that, the damn thing thinks my hard drive is a removable device and lists it in the "Safely Remove Hardware" thing that windows has.

I believe that DFI stands for Dumb ******* Idiots. I have never been so angry with a PC manufacturer than I was yesterday. If the damn board wasn't so expensive, I'd break it into a million pieces.

Aparrantly, all the DFI employees must have gone to LanParties instead of their engineering classes.

Get an Asus or Abit board. Screw DFI.

Amino said:
Do Not Get This Motherboard

Things to know about DFI:
Their American website is non-existant
Their Taiwanese website is broken
The manual has no BIOS settings information
They have no phone support

This motherboard has caused me more grief than any other motherboard I have ever owned, and I'm not the only one that is having this problem. This thread is about the exact same problem I'm having. Thread. And it's not like I'm just having bad luck with one motherboard. This is the second DFI UT Ultra-D I have. The first one did the same thing too. If you have more than 1 memory module, you won't get the thing working. What's more, is that I have to reset the CMOS every time I restart my computer or it just stays at a blank screen and if I change anything in the BIOS, it does the same thing.

On top of that, the damn thing thinks my hard drive is a removable device and lists it in the "Safely Remove Hardware" thing that windows has.

I believe that DFI stands for Dumb ******* Idiots. I have never been so angry with a PC manufacturer than I was yesterday. If the damn board wasn't so expensive, I'd break it into a million pieces.

Aparrantly, all the DFI employees must have gone to LanParties instead of their engineering classes.

Sorry to hear you had so many problems with the board. A vast majority of owners of Lanparty series boards will strongly disagree with you. Just look at the user reviews on Newegg. It is the Best OC board you can buy. I have assembled 4 of them so far and never had a problem. It is true that the tech support and manual is horrible but remember this board is for the enthusiast that know what they are doing. Plus do to how popular the board is there is a vast amount of information on tweaking and workarounds available here and other forums like XtremeSystems and DFI-Street .If your a noob that will do a slight OC than Asus is the board to get.

Last edited:
If you have more than 1 memory module, you won't get the thing working

Hmm. I just starting overclocking mine with 2 oczs 3700 gold: No problems thus far. Had no problems downloading the 6/23 bios from dfi's website and flashing. Manual really sucks but there is so much documentation on this forum and dfistreet that are better anyway. This board is great. So many settings to play with. :)

Duke$ter if this is your first overclock/build ever, you might want to consider an asus or abit since they have less settings and are thus "easier" to configure and overclock. The DFI board is great if you know what you are doing or have the patience to read the mountains of data availiable for it.

Amino:

I posted in your linked thread about possible solutions for your issues.

Give them a try. They worked for me and we both have the same RAM and MB.

Well first of all, I'm no noob. I've been overclocking since 2002. I understand that this board is great for overclocking. That's the reason I bought it. But having two motherboards, in a row, have the same problem that another person is having is a sign to me. It may be a bad *** board for a lot of people, but personally, I will never touch another DFI board again, nor will I recommend them to anyone.

I went back to Fry's and picked up the Asus SLI board and low and behold, install went without a single problem and I'm now typing this on it with that hunk of junk DFI board sitting in it's box ready to be RMA'd.

i wouldnt worry about anything.....this board is not as hard to work with as people make it out to be.....

this was my first ever build and i got it up and running no problems and im 19hrs prime stable @ 2700....probably would be 24hrs stable but i had **** to do for school....

so ya dont worry just buy it and have fun....

Great board, the best for overclocking A64 currently out. However being new to overclocking it may prove a bit daunting. An ASUS board might be better suited for a first time overclocker. I'm not saying you can't use DFI but be prepared to do alot of reading and testing to find out the best combo's & settings.

Amino said:

LMAO, I ignored your post after the first line in red but saw this part quoted. Good stuff :D

All I can say is you either got very unlucky and had two bad boards which is not out of the question, or your frustration got in the way of your really understanding this outstanding board. I'm sorry to say but a performance board such as this needs to be babied and tuned correctly. It doesn't really sound like you are capable of doing that;)

Amino said:

:santa:

And while we are in a very cheerful mood :rolleyes: , let me add DON'T get the MSI NEO2 Plantinum. This board is another POS.

That has to be the best quote of the year :p

I think I read somewhere that you are to use one stick in the #1 slot, boot into the bios, set to optimized settings, save, reboot, shut off, then add the other stick of ram..
I could be wrong but that's how I did it..

Amino said:
Well first of all, I'm no noob. I've been overclocking since 2002. I understand that this board is great for overclocking. That's the reason I bought it. But having two motherboards, in a row, have the same problem that another person is having is a sign to me. It may be a bad *** board for a lot of people, but personally, I will never touch another DFI board again, nor will I recommend them to anyone.

I went back to Fry's and picked up the Asus SLI board and low and behold, install went without a single problem and I'm now typing this on it with that hunk of junk DFI board sitting in it's box ready to be RMA'd.

I can understand that. Out of all the mobo makers last year, Gigabyte and Asus were the only makers to get any money. The rest lost money.

But its worth the chance. I build a system with a friend that was based on this board. Its a nice board and worked well. still does.

I was gona get one of these too but.. decided to wait till sept 15 for ATI to 'release' crossfire.

Back