• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just purchased antec truecontrol 550w, tell me its good!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I havent had a thermaltake PSU but when I had my truecontrol....the rails were flawless!

sweeet :cool: thats the kind of reassurance i like to hear.keep those truecontrol praises coming folks :D especially would like to hear from larva on this.

Last edited:
I've heard a few people knocking Antec power supplies lately, but I have 2 Antec 550w True Power series and they have been great. They have been rock stable for me. One has been in use for over two years and the other I've had for a little less than a year.

I just traded in my Antec 550W TC for an OCZ 520W PowerStream since I switched to a Socket 939 setup. It ran flawless for over a year for me, and now that it's in my girlfriend's computer instead of that 300W Enermax I had in there, her overclock is stable by another 300Mhz. Gotta love that! =D

If you are going to buy an Antec TP you cannot get a better one then the 550W and even though Antec has had a few problems in the last year or 2 they are still better then a TT PSU on any day.

batboy said:
I've heard a few people knocking Antec power supplies lately, but I have 2 Antec 550w True Power series and they have been great. They have been rock stable for me. One has been in use for over two years and the other I've had for a little less than a year.

Antec took a well deserved beating for using crappy components in the first version of their TP series. Being a big fan of Antec PSUs for years I had a TP 430 that unfortunately had the same problem like many others had. A 12V line that sagged badly under a load. They apparently have fixed this problem in their newer TP version. However myself like many others, with their trust in Antec shaken, have since moved on to brands like PCP&C, OCZ, Fortron, and Seasonic.

i actually purchased the version one that has a single 30a +12v rail(12a more than that crap tt.)at first i thought about the ocz 520w powerstream, until i saw the difference in price.this thing would never power an sli setup, but than im sticking to agp anyway :) .even if i upgrade to an agp r520 and/or dual-core processor sometime next year my antec truecontrol 550w should have the required amperage on the +12v line.

Last edited:
That PSU should do you good. My TP430 is a tank, fan modded with some Panaflo lows and a sense mod, the rails are solid as rock. IMO Antec makes some of the best PSU on the market.

RAMMAN said:
...this thing would never power an sli setup, but than im sticking to agp anyway :)...

The main reason it would not power an SLI setup is because the Nforce4 chipset requires an ATX 2.0 (read: dual-rail) PSU. The Truepower 550W 2.0 PSU is quite adequate running the system in my sig, which is no slouch for power consumption.

Ya did good, ramman. Though Antec had a rough spot last year as was mentioned earlier in this thread, their overall quality remains excellent and they provide some of the best values in the market today. The TP550 series are great PSUs.

thanks guys...btw do you think my truecontrol 550 would still have enough power in the event i was to upgrade to a socket 939 x2 AND an agp r520 sometime next year?

edit: psu has just arrived! now, do i need that thing that goes into one of the drive bays for adjusting the fan speed/rails or just the psu?

Last edited:
RAMMAN said:
thanks guys...btw do you think my truecontrol 550 would still have enough power in the event i was to upgrade to a socket 939 x2 AND an agp r520 sometime next year?

Your PSU should be up to the task, no problem. Just don't try to emulate Las Vegas with cold cathodes like some folks and you'll be fine :p

RAMMAN said:
edit: psu has just arrived! now, do i need that thing that goes into one of the drive bays for adjusting the fan speed/rails or just the psu?

The drive bay controller is optional; if you wish to manually conrol your PSU, then install it. If you don't, you can leave it out. If you would like to have the option to do these adjustments easily but don't wish to have the knobs sticking out like a sore thumb, you may be able to recess the controller in one of your bays and place a bay cover over it. This is, of course dependent on case design.

my case is an xblade that has 2x80mm led fans, 1x120mm led fan and a bay door so the psu will be installed with the drive bay controller on monday.

Last edited:
My rails are rock solid. Pass...
Voltages are adjustable through pots. Pass...
Could increase voltage through pots. Fail...

Pots shipped at max lvl's to achieve the correct voltages essentially negating the fact it's adjustable. Mostly, I could only drop my voltages. This was my only gripe with the power supply. Hopefully, I have an oddball.

That PSU is not recommended here a lot because of the poor ventilation. The fan choice is poor and there is a 1/8" gap between the fans lid and the mounting surface. So if your case poses any backpressure to the fan it won't draw any air. There is a topic about it called "TPII-480" where larva discusses the problem.

However if you are not having any problems with it then it is fine, I guess.

I had to RMA a TC 550 earlier this year after the integrated fan speed controller slowly died, apparently it didn't like the Vantec Tornado that was plugged into it.

Strangley, about the same time the fan controller started going south, the 12V rail would actually increase in voltage under load, more load/more voltage as measured wih a Fluke DMM.

I'm with Electron Chaser, this is the second Antec PSU i've RMA'd in just over 2 years....time to move on....Hopefully YMMV.

elec.tron

wtf! after installing my truecontrol 550 without the control panel the 5v rail is at 4.4v, the 3.3v rail is at 2.9v, and the 12v rail is at 10.8v! with the control panel installed will i be able to increase my voltages enough or do i need some really high-end psu just to be able to play games on my rig?!?

Last edited:
Measure with a multi and try to see if the panel adjuster will raise the volts for you.

Back