• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to do a wireless network with a neighbor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Hi guys,...

My neighbor and I wanted to create a wireless network between us... he's about 100 meters away only.. but.. there are two 2-storey houses between us, technically blocking our line of sight... not to mention some trees also..

What is the best way to setup our network???

we are looking along the lines of DIY antennaes coz we are just financially incapable of buying over priced antennaes..the only problem here is we have little resources.. i dont even think we can find a proper RP SMA or RP TNA compatible plugs and pigtails.. these parts might be also DIY.. LOL ..

My first idea was to build 2 cantennas.. pringles or coffee (what do you think)..

I will connect it to my Linksys or Dlink wireless router here at home (undecided yet on what router to use), and mount it on my roof...

I will do the same with his wireless usb adaptor. mount the cantenna on his roof..

ofcourse the 2nd floor and roof of the 2 houses between us are still in the way but i was hoping the cantennaes can drive thru those houses.. can they?

any tips would be MUCH appreciated!

I dont have any advice really... but I diffenitly want to see some pics when this is all done. :)

www.sveasoft.com
each of you buy a wrt54G or wrt54GS router and link them together using WDS and wpa and ur set.. you may need a directional antenna but other than that your good to go..
Eddie

Cytomax said:
www.sveasoft.com
each of you buy a wrt54G or wrt54GS router and link them together using WDS and wpa and ur set.. you may need a directional antenna but other than that your good to go..
Eddie

Approx. how many feet is it apart? Cause just two routers seems kind of weak unless they ahve some extreme power hacks in them. Especially going through two houses and some trees.

thanks...

Approx. how many feet is it apart? Cause just two routers seems kind of weak unless they ahve some extreme power hacks in them. Especially going through two houses and some trees.

100 meters only.. but there's just lots of things blocking our line of sight..

umm.. arent cantenna's gona work? coffeecan and pringles are directional ..

also i was also thinking of investing on a DLINK Ant24-0800 Omni antennae with 1KM range... i was thinking with 1km power, it should be able to break through the walls and trees... unless my logic is way off here.

with sveasoft, the putputs will be at around 250 mw. I'm not surehow this would murder the signal quality, i know that the power hack for the old WAP-11s would create ALOT of nouse in the surrounding frequencies.

I personally would reccomend 2 senao CB3s which natively output 200mw, and have a good recieve sensativity. They also have native POE capability, based on the 802.3af standard. You could put an esternal antenna on them or build likea cantenna or parabolic reflector onto its existing ducky antenna.

http://www.wisp-router.com/product_info.php?cPath=35_36&products_id=189

just switch one from bridge mode to AP mode, and put it on your network. it will give dhcp and everything directly from your current router. if money permits, these antennas are great, i use them all the time for customer installs at work.

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2419g.php

but you need a pigtail to connect the radio to the antenna.

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/cable_radio_pigtails_detail.php?Order=5break500&SKU=CA-MMNMCN19
that pigtail will go from the card inside the cb3 directly to the antenna, so you wont have the few dbs loss in the unnecessary connections. the one to go from the external connection on the cb3 to the cheaper of the antennas (the N female connector one) is $14 for a 2 foot one tho. again, this is only if money permits. but for customer installs, the cb3 coupled with the 19 db gain antenna, makes a nice installation.

do either of you happen to have a tower? the highr you can get even one end will improve te signal, as less of the path is blocked by houses and whatnot. you could also consider like putting them in the back yard and shooting across their yards?

umm.. guys.. i think we're vearing off slightly here.. lol.

Great advises,but can't do because

1) Limited budget..
2) Most hardware stuffs mentioned arent available here in my city..

:(

so im looking for a "clever" solution to this.. if there is one.. not a hardware shoot out thing.. coz if it's just about hardware, and we had the budget, it's quite easy with the existing wi-fi equipments available around this limited place.

so ok.. anyway, i'll be uploading pics of the houses and stuff around here.. but for now.. here's an illustration of the challenging situation:

go here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v642/clever_j/WiFi Project/?action=view&current=wifi.swf

as you can see, there are 2 storey houses that are blocking the line of sight from my roof..

so going back to the 2 cantennaes in my head..

the simpliest way to get this to work is RAISE 2 cantennaes up high, higher than the 2 houses, and there they can have less interferance and better line of sight.. with line of sight available, 100 meters is chicken feed.

but we're talking about 8 meters from the ground.. if we mount it from our roof tops.. we're still talking around 5 meters..

is there anything wrong with that.. coz looking at it..it seems really high.. lol..

Last edited:
http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

along with cheap USB wifi adapters, weatherproofing materials (caulk, mastic tape, whatever) USB extension cables, and set up with an ad-hoc peer to peer network. then maybe some poles to get sme height if possible and stick it up there. could try it with the dishes on the roofs and see how well they do. might get refelction off of buildings and stuff, but the cookware and usb adapters are rather cheap, cheapest i can think of. and will liekly give better results than a hacked together cantenna, they usually run a gain of around 10 to 14 db gain, while parabolic reflectors see like 15 to 20 db gain.

so neither of you happen to have an antenna tower for TV antennas or the like? those are handy for mounting on. you might need a pci usb card to power the client on extensions, we did an install for a customer and my laptop would power it fine, but their new comp, an emachines with a sata hard drive and dual channel ram, wouldnt. so we had to stick in a pci usb card, then it works fine. so some mobos dont put out enough power ot keep thiongs workin when long usb runs are in place.

BTW, i believe links to external sites are prohibited. might wanna reference the rules on it and take care of it before the administration / mods see it and get on ya.

BTW, i believe links to external sites are prohibited. might wanna reference the rules on it and take care of it before the administration / mods see it and get on ya.

thanks mate! sheesh.. forgot about that one..

anyway.. dude. thanks for your great advises!

:)
so neither of you happen to have an antenna tower for TV antennas or the like?

nope.. we got cable wire going in our houses.. havent seen a regular TV antennae around the block for ages!

you might need a pci usb card to power the client on extensions,

i was afraid of that as well..

but no matter.. i think it's best that we assemble our own pigtails.. i think USB cable has transmission limit to about 2 or 3 meters or something... with RG Coax cables i can extend it longer.. might have to have cable running up to 10 meters.. ;(

so can i use cookware dishes instead? i mean, it should be the same principle as cantenna's right? extend the 12 gauge bronze wire infront of the dish, and thats it.. yah?

another thing i was thinking is, so that we dont have to RAISE our poles too high is, Would it be possible for me to point my transmission east, and he can point his antennae to the north? is that possible? like my signal is going the other direction but his antennae will try to suck it into his direction?

We have sucessfully run USB cables at work to about 60 feet, so what that converts to in meters....... about 18.3 meters. We did have to put in a pci card tho, or you could probably just cut the cable and run the +bV wire to a molex to get the power needed. As i said, even with the expensive LMR-400 cable and N connectors, coax is reccomended against, as it has a bit of signal loss. at one customer, the previous installer had the customer's CB3 mounted in the basement and coax run up the tower to the antenna, and we were having connection problems. we put the CB3 in a box and mounted it up by the antenna, without the coax run and now they are working fine. SOOOO... where im goi nwith this, is that coax runs are bad.

ah see.. darn.. hmm.. well, you know? frankly, we dont really mind much loss.. as long as we can get at least 1 or 2 mbps between us we'd be fine...

We have sucessfully run USB cables at work to about 60 feet
dang! i though USB cable can't opperate on long stretches like that.. sheesh. nice to hear from someone who's got FACTS and experience. :D

Back