• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tips for getting higher stable HTT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moto7451

Senior Something
Hey all,

My specs are in my sign & unless I can figure out how to get a higher stable HTT speed, I may be lowering what I list as my max OC as claiming 100% stability except in video games won't fly :/. My CPU is 24 hour P95 stable but when I play a video game that stresses the HT bus by using a lot of AGP bandwidth (like BF2) I crash at random. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes 30, sometimes an hour.

The CPU can prime from now till next year. I can run super pi forever too. Its the most annoying thing ever since I know there is more room left for more MHz with the CPU but I'm not running higher voltages till my MCW6002 gets here. Is there anything I can do to get 325MHz HTT stable? I know 313 (2.5GHz CPU speed) is fully stable & I'll find where it maxes out tomorrow.

Hopefully there is a modded BIOS or a BIOS tweak or something like that that you guys can point me to. Otherwise I guess I'll need an NF4 board which isn't exactly what I am hoping for.

Thanks in advance.
-Max

well wat motherboard do u got? DFL LP 250gb im asuming? i used to have a 754 cpu and i ran 250 x 4 on it fine.. i never had a problem with my games crashing at all with a stable oc from prime... u sure ur grpahics card isnt getting to hot?/bad?

I have it set to 2 since it doesn't matter what speed its at so long as the HT link is higher than 200MHz & lower than 1000MHz ;). You get the same performance so long as you're not starving the AGP bus with a super low HT link.

EspElement, a 1GHz HT link isn't the issue. I'm actually running a ~600MHz HT link. Yes, I'm referring to the Lanparty UT 250GB in my sig. Its a great mobo.

The crash I get is similar to when you push an NForce2 too far & it hangs & plays the same sound over & over. I'm going to keep working on getting it a little higher. I'm about to test playing BF2 at 2.56GHz (320x8) with my memory set below 200MHz. I'm wondering if my memory has a compatibility deal going on or maybe memtest was lying about the stability of the memory :D ;).

Well, I tried to get it higher but 300MHz HTT is all it will go :/. I bought this new E6 Sempy because I thought that my CBBID Sempy wouldn't do 2.6 stable & showed the same issues. I guess its more of a board issue than a CPU issue. The good news out of this though is I have two CPUs that will do 2.6GHz. I just need a board that will fly with them :D. Is the Epox NF4 S754 board a good overclocker?

**** guys i'm so frustrated with this board.
I cna' tget it faste rthan 2.5 with my ram set at 240 (though it's capable of so much more).. and 2.6 keeps crashing too :(

damh n

hey baber.. do u got a sata drive? if so.. i think i know why.. try using the 3rd or 4th sata spot... i couldnt go higher then 240 fsb without doing that.. it something with the sata connectors or osmething

nothing is saturating your htt speeds. u have headroom, htt bus is big, and not filled up. cpu mhz and ram mhz should be maximized, and whatever htt speed you get from that is fine, more htt mhz won't give you any more performance.

Moto7451 said:
Hey all,

My specs are in my sign & unless I can figure out how to get a higher stable HTT speed, I may be lowering what I list as my max OC as claiming 100% stability except in video games won't fly :/. My CPU is 24 hour P95 stable but when I play a video game that stresses the HT bus by using a lot of AGP bandwidth (like BF2) I crash at random. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes 30, sometimes an hour.

That actually sounds like you don't have a PCI and AGP lock and thus the AGP frequency is going too high.

Moto7451 said:
The crash I get is similar to when you push an NForce2 too far & it hangs & plays the same sound over & over.

That can be many things, including not enough Vcore.

MailOrderSausag said:
nothing is saturating your htt speeds. u have headroom, htt bus is big, and not filled up. cpu mhz and ram mhz should be maximized, and whatever htt speed you get from that is fine, more htt mhz won't give you any more performance.

I'm not looking to increase my HT Link's speed. I'm looking to increase my overclock. My Sempron has an 8x multiplier so I need a higher HTT. I got this board as there were reports of it hitting 330MHz HTT which would be enough to get me into the 2.6GHz range which the board will do perfectly in anything except BF2. BF2 is pretty demanding so its not like its a freak deal. My system is just being stressed a lot.

RJARRRPCGP said:
That actually sounds like you don't have a PCI and AGP lock and thus the AGP frequency is going too high.

I set the AGP bus to 67MHz to make sure it locks ;). I don't think I'd be able to boot windows with a 50MHz PCI speed at 300MHz HTT (300/6) or a 54 MHz PCI speed at 325MHz HTT which is perfectly stable in everything except BF2 (for example Halo runs forever without issue... that'd be hard to do with a 108MHz MHz AGP speed :D).

RJARRRPCGP said:
That can be many things, including not enough Vcore.

I tried 7 x 325 on my bro's Newcastle & it did the same thing.

His lanparty ended up dying so I gave him mine (damned spoiled lucky kid lol) & I now have an Infinity NF4-4X in the mail (newegg didn't want to return a new board so they gave us store credit which we used on that).

When transferring my board to his case, I was removing my IceBerq & I noticed that the contact wasn't very good. I'm thinking my chipset is ever so concave. That probably didn't help the situation in any case. The nice thing about the NF4 is that its exposed core won't have the same issue with flatness (yay!). I should probably lap it & see what happens but I don't think my bro will be to keen with me taking apart his rig.

set yer htt real high, but there's some ration, like ldt/htt, lower that puppy, and somethin'.... i dunno, there's a few ratios in the bios that might look like they might help you.

Back