• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix 3.79 and a secondary question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gulp35

I just noticed Arkaine23 has another rev of his great overclockix going out. Has anyone tried this yet? I have 12 different computers running 3.7 right now in several diffeent modes:

1 server dishing out overclockix to six different headless clients
2 full hard drive installs
4 poor man HD installs

My secondary qustion has to do with the Poor man installs. Right now I enter the cheatcodes: knoppix26 fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=/dev/hda3

This works great except when the power fails, and then my poormen reboot and end up booting up like CD versions...that is they do not save their work to the hard drive so if the power fails again, they lose their work. Sometimes they even boot up as headless clients off the server.

I should explain the reason I set them up as pormen is because anything more than 6 headless clients and my switch seemed to get jammed and it would not boot all the clients. They are poor men because the harddrives are too small for full installs.

So, my question is, how do I set it up so the hard drive just boots up correctly without cheat codes. I have heard that I can edit my lio, but I am still pretty green in Linux and don't know the exact ins and outs of doing this.

If anyone can give me a nice step by step I would appreciate it..I did try over at the knoppix forum, but my head just ended up spinning...twelve different answers, and I am not sure if any of them are complete answers.

Thanks for your help, and hats off to Arkaine for his great programming!

I believe you can install Knoppix/Overclockix to the hard drive. However, it takes more space than you would think, as the CD is a compressed filesystem, so you probably need at least 1.5 mb or so. I'm not sure how big your hd's are.

You mention you have 2 full hard drive installs. Why not do what you did on those 2 on the 4 you list as "poor man installs"? I'm not quite sure what you did, do you mean you just copied the image over to a hd partition and booted from that?

What size hard drives are we talking here? Full installation takes about 2GB of space. A poor man's install basically sets up the compressed system image to boot from the HDD- so more like 700MB HD space required.

I'll dig up some info about lilo for poorman's installs for you...

I use /dev/hda2 throughout this guide.
What you'd need to-

Boot knoopix and partition a hard drive. You can use fdisk, cfdisk or qtparted for this. You'll want 2 partitions. One will be a linux swap partition and the other should probably be ext3, although vfat and resierfs should work fine too.

I'd do a poorman's install this way-

EX for a 1.2 GB HDD
/dev/hda1 300 MB for swap
/dev/hda2 900 MB for persistent home and Knoppix img

Its no problem if you have these reversed, I just like swap at the front of a drive. The swap space will give you extra virtual memory. You'll want that unless you've got 512+MB of ram. Persistent home will allow you to keep your own files and settings including a stored copy of your folding directory.

Now on to setup. Boot the CD again, this time with the codes-

knoppix tohd=/dev/hda2 (plus any other codes you require/prefer. This will take longer than normal to boot because the CD is being copied to the HDD.)

Now, while booted from CD you'll want to make a persistent home as well on the same partition, so mount the /mnt/hda2 if it's not already mounted and make sure its writeable. Don't use up all of the remaining space for the persistent home, as you'll want maybe some MB leftover for the boot files.

In a terminal do- sudo konqueror

Go to /cdrom in konqueror, copy the folder /boot and then navigate to /mnt/hda2 and paste it there.

Now copy the /etc/lilo.conf into your /home directory and edit it as root- sudo kwrite /home/knoppix/lilo.conf and add this:

image=/mnt/hda1/boot/isolinux/linux24
label="Overclockix 2.4 kernel"
append="lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda2 home=scan myconfig=scan apm=power-off"
initrd=/mnt/hda2/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz
read-only

image=/mnt/hda2/boot/isolinux/linux26
label="Overclockix 2.6 kernel"
append="lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=scan myconfig=scan apm=power-off"
initrd=/mnt/hda2/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz
read-only

You'll want to change the default= line in lilo.conf also to be one of these labels, "Overclockix 2.4 kernel" or "Overclockix 2.6 kernel", depending on which you prefer it to boot to by default.

If for some reason you get an error the file is not writeable try: sudo chmod +w /home/knoppix/lilo.conf

After saving the file, run this as root:

/sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda -C /home/knoppix/lilo.conf -v

This command means write lilo bootloader into master boot record of primary master hard drive, using config file /home/knoppix/lilo.conf, and give verbose output in case there are errors.

Note: I have not tested this, but it should work. Basically its setting up and installing lilo to boot the KNOPPIX cloop filesystem that is on the HDD, and to also use a persistent home at boot, which is where the folding directory will be.

Hmm, now that I've worked this out, I bet I can get qemu working like this also.

Last edited:
The full HD installs are to big (>3gig) drives. The poormen are on 1-2 gig drives...not enough for a full install, so the iso image is on the HD, and I use the cheat code to make it boot from the HD. I'd like to just incorportae the cheat codes into some sort of boot up routine so when the machine reboots, it automatically does hdfrom=/dev/hda1 home=/dev/hda3. Is that possible some how? It seems you should be able to write that into some boot file perhaps.

And thanks again Arkaine for all your efforts to make folding as easy as possible!

Last edited:
Arkaine,

I tried to DL 3.79 but when I click the link on your site I get a Not Found page. I really want to try Overclockix 3.79 and seed it but I cannot get a copy. What am I doing wrong. I have the newest Bittorrent client installed.

its not up man. He's still fixing his ISO to make sure it didn't have a few of the bugs the last release (3.8) had.... I have faith in Arkaine. He'll get it up eventually.

It's uploading... probably about 1/2 way done. The link on the site doesn't point to it yet and the torrents haven't been made. All that should happen this evening when I get home.

Thanks Arkaine!

When I get home tonight I will try it out.

Best Regards,

Junebug (the gray member of Team Gulp35)

Arkaine23 said:
It's uploading... probably about 1/2 way done. The link on the site doesn't point to it yet and the torrents haven't been made. All that should happen this evening when I get home.

Cant wait. I knew I picked a good two days to take off work :beer:

Thanx guys, I'll be sure to spam a bunch of forums about this release tonight so the BT should fly.

I rewarded myself last night since this build took 11 days to complete.... one of my MP's had reverted back to being an XP, so I redid the L5 mod and got the dual back in my duallie. Also, a fan of Overclockix sent me a dvd burner and a bunch of blanks, so I installed that to the duallie as well. Wonder if he's hoping for a DVD release.....

I never got that mod to work. How did you do it? I tried pencil, without any luck.

Back