• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wooot 2405FPW :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
:bday: What a nice present for the middle of the week for me, for no apparent reason hehe.

This monitor rocks, no dead pixels, minor if any backlighting issues (didn't look like any to me). Worked right away and most games seem to be taking the wide screen setting expecially at full screen res.

Guildwars
Dungeon Siege 2
HL2
Sims 2 (well 1600x1200 so far, gotta find out how to edit that)

Still got a few more to try out
BF2
HW2 (I know you can go up to a certain res, then it starts streaching slightly)
Nexus
Brothers in Arms

Think that tops my list on what to drool at with this great monitor. Its just amazing hehe. Even tried the PIP and PBP, really sweet features, even though those I bet will have very limited use. The memory card readers, excellent also, was very happy about just tossing a memory card into the monitor and bam its up, instead of trying to locate that cable or unplug my external harddrive all the time.

If you want a monitor thats big, a nice high recommendation for it here.

I got this off ebay, for $715 shipped. I got VERY lucky with that price most sell right around $800. So if you got a little patience, give eBay a stab and see what you can round up.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
Yeah, about The Sims 2...I think you have to go into the menu, or change a config file...I did it on my laptop....I'll go check. :D

Cool thx.

Ya my Fience was like ooh whats Sims 2 look like on that. Fired it up since shes use to running it on a 17" CRT (now upgraded to a 17" LCD) but it no where compares to this hehe. Shes like, iumm im borrowing that monitor sometime.

Impressive. how does the refresh rate treat you on games?
I've been thinking about grabbing one.

You lucked out with no dead pixels or backlight issues buying it on Ebay. There's really nothing to protect you from getting a bad monitor, but I'm glad you managed to. Any ghosting on games? Would you say it's the best upgrade for your computer you've ever had?

Games so far great... onlyones that I have yet to extensivly test is BF2 and Brothers In Arms.

Then again this is just me, every one views LCD's differently expecially with there timings. I throught my 16ms one was fine, this is even nicer :) hehe.

Yes it does. Comes with USB, VGA, DVI, Power cables.

deathman20 said:
Yes it does. Comes with USB, VGA, DVI, Power cables.

Awesome thanks for the info deathman20. Mine is sposed to arrive tommorow. I'm so excited. I never had anything bigger than 17in lcd

Its nice, its big, and tehres no way you can play F.E.A.R. at full res ;) The only downside to the big monitor highend games need higher end graphic cards.

Question. My mom has a 17" Widescreen on her Dell 9300 laptop. One of the biggest incentives for me to switch to a widescreen would be to eliminate the black bars you get when watching widescreen DVD movies. I watched a few movies on her laptop and still got the black bars.

Are there going to be black bars on the 2405?

tom10167 said:
Question. My mom has a 17" Widescreen on her Dell 9300 laptop. One of the biggest incentives for me to switch to a widescreen would be to eliminate the black bars you get when watching widescreen DVD movies. I watched a few movies on her laptop and still got the black bars.

Are there going to be black bars on the 2405?

Depends what aspect ratio the movie is in. You'll get some black bars across the top/bottom no matter what expecially the really wide ones (2.10:1 or something like that). To get a perfect resolution on this monitor the movie would have to be a 1.6:1 ratio which I think it will be a rare find. But they do look big :)

I havn't tried any extensive movies on it since I got a 27" TV not far away, besides me always being busy with the computer too.

Yes you will still get black bars unless it is a normally full screen movie in which case you will either stretch the movie or have black bars on the sides

Hi!
I just read that you have this monitor.
Im using a Benq 19" 8ms very good monitor right now.
But I think its to small.

Now I can get this dell monitor for around $950 and thats a good price in Sweden. (We are crazy expensive)

Now my question.
I play alot of games, and work alot in 3d programs.
So ghosting in games is not an option for me.

I got no ghosting with my Benq tft now. but it has a minor problems when its dark areas. And as I said before I need a bigger monitor.

I mean dells native res is 1930x1600 ! thats crazy. No game support that res that means I have to go with 1600x1200 and how would that look ? blurry not that sharp I guess. And even at 1600x1200 in new games I need alot of cpu mem and grafic power. I got a desend gear but not sure how it will work with 1600x1200 in games such fear. I play it without lagging in 1280x1024 with my benq and its sweet.

Now I wish to continue to play these lovely games without messing the beatuful look :)

Will this monitor work great or should I go for another one ?

Thanks !

LCD's are tricky to say that you won't see any ghosting. Its a preference of actually the person viewing it and how they react to the response rate of that monitor. I say tehres no ghosting, and thats coming from a 16ms display that didn't have ghosting issues either.

Now games like FEAR, yes you'll have to run it at a lower res. I currently run it at 1280x720 and it still looks impresivly good for not being its native res. Quake 4 I also run at a non-native res, actually it was some wierd value but it was still a ratio with the monitor, and that still looked impresive. Think it was 1600x1000 actually, maybe 1440x900.

The native res is 1920x1200. It might have downfalls in area's but I don't look at the bad things on the monitor I look at the positives. USB, Memory card reader, large support for inputs, sterdy base, and zero dead pixels :)

deathman20 said:
LCD's are tricky to say that you won't see any ghosting. Its a preference of actually the person viewing it and how they react to the response rate of that monitor. I say tehres no ghosting, and thats coming from a 16ms display that didn't have ghosting issues either.

Now games like FEAR, yes you'll have to run it at a lower res. I currently run it at 1280x720 and it still looks impresivly good for not being its native res. Quake 4 I also run at a non-native res, actually it was some wierd value but it was still a ratio with the monitor, and that still looked impresive. Think it was 1600x1000 actually, maybe 1440x900.

The native res is 1920x1200. It might have downfalls in area's but I don't look at the bad things on the monitor I look at the positives. USB, Memory card reader, large support for inputs, sterdy base, and zero dead pixels :)

I understand. I read some interesting stuff from tomshardware http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050706/professional_lcd-12.html He think its not good for gamins...!?

Im a hard core gamer and I think the look in the game is important. I use my native 19" 1280x1024 in both quake 4 and fear. And it looks so damn good. And I would be sad if I can see that it looks worse if I spend my bux on this new 24" dell monitor.

Thanks again!

Hej Henrik,

Jag kopte lillebrorsan (20 tum) till 24 tummaren fran Dell for min son for ca en vecka sedan (vi bor i USA) och jag tror den har samma refreshrate etc som 24 tummaren. Jag maste saga att det vart den BASTA bild jag nagonsin sett pa en monitor. Helt enkelt fantastiskt! Sag ingen ghosting alls, och farger och skarpan ar sa superklara och fina jag knappt trodde mina ogon.

Han ar oxa hard core gamer och spelar fran morgonen till sent pa natten och han ar SUPERNOJD. Jag blev sa imponerad att jag kommer om ett par veckor kopa 24 tummaren for bade mig sjalv och min fru.

Jag tror inte du kommer angra dig om du koper den. :)

Tells 20 and 24" panels also allow you to elimate stretching and stuff...i.e. if you run 1280x1024 you can run that on the dell and have it either stretch the image across the whole LCD...or stretch it but retain it's aspect ratio (which keeps circles looking like circles instead of ovals, and sqaures as squares instead of turning into rectangles) or you can run it 1:1 which will blackout all pixels around the sides....usuing only 1280x1024 of the 1920x1200 pixels.

I personaly don't have aproblem running 1920x1200 at medium settings no AA/AF with my 6800U in CS:S...not sure how much more demanding FEAR would be though.

Back