• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal compound - is it necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

espn2829

Registered
people have been talking about something Arctic and AS5, etc to put on the processor. is it necessary to buy this?

You can use the stock thermal paste, and most heatsinks come with a cheap paste, but for optimal results you should use some form of thermal compound. AS5 is only one of the best.

9mmCensor hit the nail on head. Thermal Paste is *always* needed, but you don't have to use AS5 or something fancy. (Although AS5 will save 1-3C compared to cheap paste, and is considered a good cooling investment)

thanks. these are great forums ;)

so lets say if i want to use the stock HSF but get better thermal compound for overclocking, would this help a good deal?

espn2829 said:
thanks. these are great forums ;)

so lets say if i want to use the stock HSF but get better thermal compound for overclocking, would this help a good deal?
It helps for sure. I always do that, when I dont have the money to spend on a good heatsink.

9mmCensor said:
It helps for sure. I always do that, when I dont have the money to spend on a good heatsink.

cool

so what do you think is the best thermal compound?

price is not a factor. and is it easy to install?

again, muchos gracias :bday:

i use AS ceramique, i see no difference between ASC and AS5, apart from ASC wont kill anything if it gets in the wrong place and ASC is quite a bit cheaper.

Back