• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 2.4b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sgresham

Registered
Hi guys,

Longtime reader, first time poster and OC'er. The question I have is will a 2.4b overclock worth anything? I have read that the C is good for overclocking, but I don't know about the b. My memory is 400 speed, and my FSB is only 133 (138 atm). So, is it worth it to try to oc this chip, or will it fail miserably? Also, let me make sure I am doing this right. So far I have pushed the FSB up 5mHz, and now I should test before I try to go any further? Thanks for the help guys:)

Scott

Welcome to the forms.
What motherboard are you running?
Make sure you have a lot of cooling fans.
Your power supply should be over 400 watts. Cheap powersupplys don't let you overclock to well.
I have a 3.06 that will oveclock to 3.56 ghz. and your fsb is 133x4=532 mhz
138x4=552 mhz

Good luck and take it slow.
Fordman

Sorry I failed to mention the mb. It is a gigabyte 8IK1100, but I may need ot upgrade my PSU. I currently have an Antec smartpower 350w psu. Thanks for the quick response and I really appreciate any recommendation you guys can give a noob.

Scott

Before the "C" series 800 bus Northwoods arrived, the 2.4B was a classic overclocker. Depending on what stepping it is, most will do at least 2.8 gig. If you have a C1 stepping, then 3 to 3.2 gig (or maybe more) is possible. You will mainly be limited by lack of cooling. If you don't want to invest in a lot of cooling mods yet, then I recommend slowly raising FSB in small increments, testing for stability and checking temps. If you can hit 150 FSB (2.7 gig) with only a minor bump in vcore and still be stable with decent temps, then you could run the 3:4 memory ratio which would run your DDR400 RAM perfectly in spec.

That's really promising:) Ok, i ran Prime95 for a few hours and it did just fine raising the fsb 5mhz. What is a good conservative push to the fsb for my next try? Should I just go 5 more mhz, or could I push it like 10? Thanks guys.

Scott

sgresham said:
That's really promising:) Ok, i ran Prime95 for a few hours and it did just fine raising the fsb 5mhz. What is a good conservative push to the fsb for my next try? Should I just go 5 more mhz, or could I push it like 10? Thanks guys.

Scott

First off - Welcome to the forums ! :)

second - stay with 5mhz for now and Id say look into your ram's situation, did you set the ram to a lower than cpu fsb in bios ? if not run memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) even before running prime
also go to http://www.lavalys.com/ and get everest, that prog is very good as it will give you full info on your comp, including temps, fan speeds and psu voltages. Since you only have a 350W Id say monitor two things, the temps and the voltages, make sure your 3.3v/5v and 12v dont fluctuate too much (IMO not more than 5%)
one more thing - Id say if you dont want to go with an aftermarket hsf dont go with a higher vcore

Good luck and enjoy !

D

PS: me had a 2.5b that would do 3.2, northwoods rock :)

yes the 2.4b's rock , I run mine at 3gig on an SLK 900u adn an 80mm fan . with the 92mm fan I used to run at 3.4 but lowered it cuz I gave it to the kids as their computer so she sits at 3 gig now . good luck with your OC , and welcome to the forums
oh I think the Antec will do you just fine , I am running a Antec 352 in mine so its all good , if you are contemplating a PS switch I would say get a better HSF first SLK's are pretty nice and if you can find a 900u or a 947u jump on it , I just bought 2 for 30bux each , so it is relatively inexpensive for free MHZ
Price out teh Intel 3 gig procs , and tell me 30 bux aint worth 600 mhz

really funny, I was just about to order a HSF before I even read your posts. I moved my fsb up 5 more MhZ to 143 or 572 and when I ran prime95 it locked quickly. I think it may be my stock hsf though, not sure. I will do the memtest though, and dl everest. I think you guys might have said, but I didn't understand(noob) lol, what's a good aftermarket hsf?

Scott

All I did was put a 7500 rpm fan on my stock heat sink. You could try that so you can play with it untill you get your new one.

Fordman

I looked at the thermalright xp-90 at newegg, and I love the looks of it, very slick. The only problem I see, which may not me a problem at all is the fact that it says it is compatible with socket 478s above 3.2. Now the xp-90c, which is 20 dollars more, lists compatability with 478, and doesn't have the above 3.2 stipulation. Does this mean I need the 90c?

Also, I went through memtest once, no errors(2.5-3-3-7), and everest says I have C1 stepping, my temp right now by everest is 43 c, and my 3.3v is at 3.22, my +5 is at 4.93, and my +12 is at 11.78. (I don't really know what these mean yet, but I'm trying to read all I can)

Scott

Last edited:
sgresham said:
I looked at the thermalright xp-90 at newegg, and I love the looks of it, very slick. The only problem I see, which may not me a problem at all is the fact that it says it is compatible with socket 478s above 3.2. Now the xp-90c, which is 20 dollars more, lists compatability with 478, and doesn't have the above 3.2 stipulation. Does this mean I need the 90c?

Also, I went through memtest once, no errors(2.5-3-3-7), and everest says I have C1 stepping, my temp right now by everest is 43 c, and my 3.3v is at 3.22, my +5 is at 4.93, and my +12 is at 11.78. (I don't really know what these mean yet, but I'm trying to read all I can)

Scott

Id say TR XP90 or Zalman 7000 or 7700 (I like the alcu versions more because they dont weight as much as the cu versions)
the x90 alu is quite good, dont worry about that 3.2 thing, if you want an xp90 go to thermalright.com and check compatibility for your board, then go to svc.com and look for the xp90 and a good fan, as in 50cfm or so

good to hear you have no ram errors and Id say you are fine on the voltages, are those under load ? when prime is running ?

D

I just checked them with prime running, and they didn't fluctuate at all, but my temp went up to 60c, so I guess I definitely need a cooler before I try any ocing. I'm gonna put in an order for that xp-90. As I am writing this my heat went up to 62 running prime :-/

Scott

hi guys!.... :)

good day to all..... :)

how do u overclock a P4 2.4ghz?.... i'm using a asrock P4i45d+ motherboad, i'm new to pentium..... in my bios setting, cpu ratio is locked......

i upgraded from amd to pentium....

sgresham said:
I just checked them with prime running, and they didn't fluctuate at all, but my temp went up to 60c, so I guess I definitely need a cooler before I try any ocing. I'm gonna put in an order for that xp-90. As I am writing this my heat went up to 62 running prime :-/

Scott

good choice, go to http://www.svcompucycle.com/ its $25 :)

angeltazman said:
hi guys!.... :)

good day to all..... :)

how do u overclock a P4 2.4ghz?.... i'm using a asrock P4i45d+ motherboad, i'm new to pentium..... in my bios setting, cpu ratio is locked......

i upgraded from amd to pentium....

these days all cpus, except for a very few, have the ratio locked, but you OC by raising the fsb (two things to keep in mind while raising fsb 1. it will also raise ram speed unless you choose a ratio between cpu and ram and 2. it will also raise the apg/pci speeds which can be dangerous for vcards, hdds, etc so you need to look in bios for a setting called agp/pci lock)

D

I guess I hit the sale just a little late.....out of stock=/ Newegg has it pretty cheap too though. Also guys, I know this really belongs in cooling, but I have 4 (80mm I think) case fans, so I am kind of perplexed at why my heat is so......hot. Should I replace these fans with better ones, these were the stocks, or is that just normal with a stock heatsink?

Scott

sgresham said:
I guess I hit the sale just a little late.....out of stock=/ Newegg has it pretty cheap too though. Also guys, I know this really belongs in cooling, but I have 4 (80mm I think) case fans, so I am kind of perplexed at why my heat is so......hot. Should I replace these fans with better ones, these were the stocks, or is that just normal with a stock heatsink?

Scott

section is irrelevant, we are the borg we will assimilate you anyway :)

what case ? what brand/model fans ? what cooling config (in/out/where/etc)

D

PS consider the one with the fan, 45cfm is decent and its $30

doh, okay found the one with the fan, wow that is a good deal. Thanks for linking that. So you think that fan will do just as good as the panaflow thermalright recommends? Ok, my case is almost just like this case except for the fact that it has a fan vent/blowhole on the top also. The fan config is one on the side blowing in, the two in the back pulling out, and the one on the top feels like its pulling in also. The are the fans that came with the case, and I need new ones anyway b/c the LEDs on the fans went out lol. Honestly, if I put my hand in front of em, it doesn't feel like they are doin much, but they are quiet hehe. Another thought I had, on the back of the case the venting for the fans is a bunch of little holes like you see on a lot of cases. I wonder if I would get better ventilation if I cut blowholes back there and put grills?

Scott

sgresham said:
doh, okay found the one with the fan, wow that is a good deal. Thanks for linking that. So you think that fan will do just as good as the panaflow thermalright recommends? Ok, my case is almost just like this case except for the fact that it has a fan vent/blowhole on the top also. The fan config is one on the side blowing in, the two in the back pulling out, and the one on the top feels like its pulling in also. The are the fans that came with the case, and I need new ones anyway b/c the LEDs on the fans went out lol. Honestly, if I put my hand in front of em, it doesn't feel like they are doin much, but they are quiet hehe. Another thought I had, on the back of the case the venting for the fans is a bunch of little holes like you see on a lot of cases. I wonder if I would get better ventilation if I cut blowholes back there and put grills?

Scott

You're welcome :)
It should be good, the bundle is made by thermalright themselves (go to TR then products then xp90rt) + what do you loose ? most places ask more for the bare xp90
tell you what get the hsf and then post your temps and we'll see if you need better case fans (if you really want new fans, newegg has a good deal on masscool fans, 10 for 10shipped, which is a pretty good deal for 30cfm fans, I got 15 of them back when it was 15 for 15 shipped and Im quite happy with em)

D

EDIT: its back to 15 for 15 :( but still good IMO, just that what is anybody to do with 15 fans ??? :)

PS: how to see if you need better case airflow - check case temp/hdd temp/vcard temp

Last edited:
Back