• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ocing X2 4400+ on Vapo..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acesea

Hey guys,
been messing with my dfi sli and x2 4400 now for a couple of weeks.
some general specs are ive got the ocz power stream 600w, 7800gtx, and the mem are the gskill ddr 550 le's.
anyway, ive got the proc cooled with a vapochill running at a cool -45 thru -55C at times.
ive been burning in the chip for some time now, stressing it and so forth and ive reached a stable oc at 2.86ghz 260x11 (vcore is 1.3 x 1.36% or 1.768 in bios and less in cpuz.). However being that my memory can go a lot higher and i do a lot of video editing i want more bandwith. On top of that after seeing how well the x2 3800's oc i am a little upset how slow my chip is even with my cooling. ive dropped the multi to 10 to raise the htt, so ive gotten it to 275x10 plus or minus a little and i raise the volts to like 1.35 x 1.33% or 1.7955v.
When I am stress testing in say prime running two instances on the two cores at the same time the app always gets errors after a couple of minutes or even sooner. however when i just run one instance on either core it doesnt err. So does this mean that one core is weaker than the other, or that simply i cant sustain that clock because its not enough volts?

if thats the case, ive already messed with raising the vcore even more. i dont really mind due to my cooling, however as soon as i try 1.475 x 1.23% or 1.81425 and higher and I am stress testing, whether prime or super pi, running two instances I dont get errors but rather the computer restarts right away. so am i giving it too much volts or what? ive seen people feed a lot into there chips on air or even wcing so whats up with mine? note though that my vcore displays always lower in cpuz than what the bios states.

i know I am kinda limited by my chips extra cache but are my overclocks roughly in line with others? or do i have a bad chip? or am i doing something wrong? i was aiming to get over 3ghz easy with this setup and am a little dissapointed. anyone have any ideas? much thanks!

thats alot of voltage you pumping in there. I think Sucka managed over 3GHz at that level. Have you considered taking off the heatspreader. Im currently at 270x10 @1.51v on water. Temps barely break 40's under load also.

I am stress testing my 4200+ at 2.8ghz (255x11 @ 1.52V) with water at home right now.

I did have (and still having) a heck of a time trying to get up any higher on my FSB. Personally, I think the RAM timmings is whats holding me back from 260+ FSB.

Could be the chip.....could be mem settings....could be your PSU :)

Your voltage is way too high, try 1.375 + 123% or 1.4 + 123%
That should be more than enough for your X2. In fact more voltage often causes a lower overclock on X2 or San Diego cores.

I think in this case removing IHS would make a big difference as it sounds like your chip fits the pattern of the one's that benefitted the most doing that. Kinda risky however.

thanks for the info guys. ive been able to get it up to 290x10 right now, but its definately not solid.
I also had a slight feeling that i may be getting negative results from these volts. i will lower them and see how that goes.

o yea, if i get bored enough i will prolly try and take off the ihs. i will let you know how that goes. except i just hate dealing with the vapochills cpu mount, its such a bit** getting the screws and everything on fine cuz its such a tight fit. i also am worried that it may bust the cpu without the ihs. ill keep you posted.

There was some thread regarding the errors in reading some voltages on the vcores. Since there's two cores, there may be a difference and be sure your reading the right core.

Finally got it running at 290x10 really solid with 1.53v. Having the gksill le 4400 run 1:1 with the cpu is pretty sweet for video editing- especially with dc.

Let me tell you guys, strapping the most ocable gear onto these ls' and actually being able to use it as a normal workstation didn't at first seem to me as such a big deal! The chillcontrols' seem overly picky regarding the system its going to be cooling.

As soon as I figure out how to get the cc to properly start up my mb I will put it over 3ghz. Contact must have been slightly off center than with my last unit. This time it's cooling it really nicely. So you guys recommend I try and just keep it under 1.7v? I may choose 1.65v then as my max limit.

Firefox, what type of ram are you using?

I have a 4400+ that ran 250X11 until my Crucial Ballistix died on me. That was watercooled and at 1.5ishV. Since my ram was bad and my mobo wasnt the best, I couldn't get much more, 255X11 was stable and I could get 265X11 and run 1M SuperPi but it would crash doing anything else. After I rma my ram, I'm going to see what I can do with my new lanparty board.

I would try 320 x 9 or something in that area I have the same set up and on water i can run 315x9 using the 4400LE G-Skill ram ...

Ram is 2.7 ... Look at the guide put out there for ddr 600 . .

Back