• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone tried putting better fans in ur psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EspElement

my psu blows out hot air.. and a very low cfm.. i was wondering if anyone has tried to wire any better fans into theyre psu (higher cfm fans) ive opened a psu for a volt mod before.. adn they appeared to be an ordenary fan with maybe a smaller connecter.. its possible to solder that connector to do differant fan of course

would this cause problems if i tried it?

i just spliced the wires for a old outa warrenty psu before, i coulda soldered em, but was too lazy, it works fine, looks better too, but its not like it'll kill it to have the stock fan in it, if its outa warranty, then id do it, but dont void it just for a new fan, that wont do much

yea. i did it on a few of my older psus. It will increase the lifespan by alot if the fanis crappy right now.

I agree with hainer36. don't do it if its still udner warrenty but onceits out, go ahead. ITs really simple.

I've replaced mine a few times. One has a 2 pin header, other 2 were hard soldered in place but all used standard 80mm fans so swapping was easy.

well i was wondering if getting he heat outta there would lower my ovre all system temp? wouldnt ya think?

it probably would help a bit.

Most of the time, you will notice, that cheap powersupplies have the fan soldered onto the psu circuit board. Just cut the wires, leaving a few inches to spare. Get the new fan, and cut it near the end of the connectors. Then just solder the black wire to the black wire, and the red to the red. mount it, and it should work well. Cover the soldered points with electric tape.

If your lazy or don't have a soldering iron, you can just cover each point wiht electrical tape.

Do the same method if you the fan inside is using a 2pin.

I've installed a high power Delta in my server's PSU. It runs a lot cooler.
As for my Antec, just rewiring the fans to 12v provides a lot more cooling.

I've done this with my old PSU. It already had a pretty good fan but I got a much quieter one with the same cfm. It blew up during a lighting storm a few months later (killed my xbox and vcr as well :temper: ), the rest of the computer was alright BTW. Still it means that I've got 2 high cfm fans lying around wait for my dremel to cut some holes in my new case.

Back