• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Wifi Antennae (pigtail alternatives?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Hey all

it's me again with me little DIY project. :D

just wanted to know if it's alright to substitute typical BNC plugs and regular COAX cables (eg RG59/U) instead of the usual TNC, N type, etc, pigtails?

Reason is, well, I simply can't get the exact TNC, SMA, N, etc etc plugs around here.. not to mention the cables like RG-213/U

So is it alrite to subsitute it with other plugs and cables?

For example, what i'd like to do is I can hack open my Linksys router and pci cards and swap (resolder) the plug RP-TNC plug with a BNC plug

what is common around here are regular BNC plugs and RG59/U coax used for our CATV

would love any inputs from ya'll geniuses! :D

Tea J

FYI: what im trying to do is setup a network with a neighbor 100 meters away from me.. Goind DIY as much as possible.

I'm no sure how the coax mentioned would handle the 2.4 ghz, but it's worth a try. I believe that RG-58 is used in the 2.4 band without a problem.

keep in mind that at this frequency, long coax runs and more connections give signal loss, I know that LMR400 is like 7 db signal loss per 100 feet, so something much smaller would be a much larger loss. and every N connection is like 1 db loss, so smaller plugs may be greater as well.

the plug inside the router is likely a crimped on plug, so you'd have to just cut the coax goin to it and solder to that.

Do you already have hardware for this project? or are you going to go buy stuff? if you dont have it already, I'd highly reccomend my suggestions in the other thread over the work in changing the antenna types and running coax and whatnot.

@four4875
thanks for your valuable inputs man.. though not the optimum, im glad to know regular bnc and coax cables for CATV will still work..

i already have the hardware.. 1 linksys WRT45G and a DLINK router.. i have to give one away so im still trying to see which plug i will need.. turned out that neither plug of both my routers are available.. so i will have to solder something else onto it.

dudes, thanks for links to them cables and all, but when i said they aint available around here, I mean they aint.. or "aren't".. lol

i am currently in the Philippines.. and boy do i miss radio shack!!!!

i have some budget but not enough budget (and patience) to order overseas, 1 or 2 pieces of TNC and some meters of cable and have it shipped all the way here. it's just not gona work.

Well like i said check to see if there are any motorola shops around. Maybe even Kenwood service shops too. Typically the shops service the police and public safety equipment, so maybe ask someone from that field who takes care of that stuff for them.

Well like i said check to see if there are any motorola shops around. Maybe even Kenwood service shops too. Typically the shops service the police and public safety equipment, so maybe ask someone from that field who takes care of that stuff for them.

ahh yes. i see.. tha could be a lead.. thanks

tea_j, i'd say your best bet would be to weatherproof the equipment (tupperware, or the like) and mount it as close to the antennas as possible. also check out

http://www.freeantennas.com

and http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/outdoor_ap/index.html

PVC and the like can be handy, i hope it's available there. that way you'd cut on coax loss and hopefully get a better signal. you can always put on a reflector like the freantennas one and try them on a dry da and see how well they connect, and experament.

I would think that even PVC pipe would be usable to raise the ap and client, although you might wanna duct tape 3 together for strength, so they dont blow around as much in the wind. just toy with different things (try not to murder stuff too much tho) and see how well the different things do.

tea_j, i'd say your best bet would be to weatherproof the equipment (tupperware, or the like) and mount it as close to the antennas as possible.

hmm... i see what you mean.. GREAT IDEA. :) will look into this..

Anyway, went all over the city today.. asked for the proper coax cables and SMC plugs.. it's no where to be found.. spoke with an electronics company here and he said the stuffs i'm looking for is not available because they are not that commercialize.. i may be the only one looking for them.. telecom companies here get their components from outside..

bottom line, im not gona get the specific plugs and coax...the only coax i can get here are

RG- 59, 58, 8, and 11

and the only plug found here are BNC and TNC plugs..

Not even the RP-TNC that i would need for my linksys router..

:(

so.. i am definitely gona have to change the plug thing on them routers and use regular coax...

wiht that said, may i ask you:

1) what type of coax you think is best i go with?
2) will tnc or bnc make any difference?
3) i will try to mount the ap/router as close to the antenna as possible.. but what do you think is the maximum length (in meters) that i can go with?
4) in lined with the above, PVCs arent a problem here. i use some myself for my aquarium.. so you think running the cable in the pvc will lessen the loss lots?

i dont mind if we can't get anything over 2mbps transfer rate as we will be only sharing small documents and stuff.. i just need to link with him..

I am sure you can find a place that will ship exactly what you need.
we must be soo primitive here then..lol
coz i asked this known electronics shop here (known to have lots of stuff) if i could get him to other the stuffs from me, and he simply told me we cant get that kind of stuff even from his main supplier in manila (capital of the philippines).... the only way i can get the stuff is ordering overseas.. and i aint about to do that really.. not an option for many reasons....

Tea_J said:
we must be soo primitive here then..lol
coz i asked this known electronics shop here (known to have lots of stuff) if i could get him to other the stuffs from me, and he simply told me we cant get that kind of stuff even from his main supplier in manila (capital of the philippines).... the only way i can get the stuff is ordering overseas.. and i aint about to do that really.. not an option for many reasons....

I would not rule out ordering oversees so quickly. you could even post in the wanted section of the classifieds and see if someone has what you need or would get it and send it to you.

Hi Tea_J-

The connectors/cable you mentioned in your first post are also used extensively in the marine electronics industry. If you got boats down your way you're gonna have marine electronics sales/service/ect, at the very least in Manila,

Rope Systems Corporation

509 Camba Corner
Jaboneros Street
Binondo, Manila

Phone: 632-242-3883
Fax: 632-242-3882

If all else fails and you decide to have parts shipped locally try a google search: marine +electronics +phillipines

Good luck on your project!

elec.tron

The lojngest coax run we have in service is like 2 or 3 meters, and it is between an amp's DC injector and the amp itself, so its an amplified signal coming from a 200mw radio. and its LMR-400 cable, big stuff, expensive.

I said the PVC, meaning as a means to raise the equipments above roof lines. like a cheap, ghetto tower kind of thing. I would tihnk that a single pipe (im thinking like half or 3/4 inch stuff) would be flimsy and sway aroudn in the wind and stuff. but if you were to tape 3 of them together in liek a triangle, it would have alot more strength to it and you could get higher and not be as unstable.

Back