• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why's my Celeron so slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

damarble

Besides the obvious! LOL

The #2 rig in my sig (Celeron 2.4, Foxconn SiS 648, Wintech RAM, 6600GT) is running very slow right now. The 1M Superpi takes 3 minutes. No improvents when OC'd either. When the CPU was in a IC7-G it did the 1M in about 1 minute and about 40 secs when at 4.0ghz. That was with the same RAM too, and had a divider, which it doesnt have anymore.

I'm wondering if it's a Windoze problem, since I've had the hdd in 2 P4's and a A64 without ever reinstalling XP (2.4Cel/IC7-G > 3.2P4/IC7-G > 2.4Cel/Foxconn > 2.4A64/Ultra-D > 2.4Cel/Foxconn). I wiped out all the drivers before each swap, and re-installed the correct drivers after. It hangs for maybe 5 secs when the first XP load screen comes up, and the screen is smoking during that time. Once it's loaded, when I open a window it hangs and jerks, like a game will do when running under 10fps. UT2004 is nearly unplayable even on the lowest settings, and it used to run great at medium to high setting the last time it was in the Foxconn (before the A64).

becuase it's a celeron :D j/k

Anytime I change hardware especially hard drives I always re-install windows to not have any problems. That's what I think is going on with your setup. Try saving everything to a DVD or something and re-install windows.

thegreek said:
Try saving everything to a DVD or something and re-install windows.

That will probably be my next step if no better solutions are offered. The drive has about 100GB of stuff on it so I will have to transfer it to anther drive.

nasgul said:
My recommendation, no matter how cheap is the motherboard, regardless, it is best to stick with an Intel core logic.

That's good advice but I'm not buying a new mobo, because this is a backup rig. I have less than $300 in it and I plan to keep it that way. Besides it worked perfectly fine the first time I used this combo, it only slowed down recently. But it did happen gradually so I didnt really notice it until now.

BTW, I've already scanned for adware and viruses, and it's clean.

since I've had the hdd in 2 P4's and a A64 without ever reinstalling XP

I am suprised the system works..lol driver cleaners NEVEr get everything like the million registry entry's - i would definetly do a fresh format if you could.

I formatted the drive and installed a fresh XP with new drivers and SP1. Still slow. Windows still hangs. There is nothing on the drive now except Windows and the basic drivers. I wonder if a bad IDE cable could cause this?

Hmm, I had the IDE cable backward so I turned it around. The grayed out hang at startup is gone now but it's still pretty slow. OCing actually made an impact now, and gave a nice speed boost, but even at 3.0ghz it's still slower than it used to be at stock.

In addition to being basically junk, Sis 648 is a single channel chipset. Comparing it to an IC7 is going to yield predictable results. You may not want to buy another board, but make no mistake, that is where the performance is being lost.

larva said:
In addition to being basically junk, Sis 648 is a single channel chipset. Comparing it to an IC7 is going to yield predictable results. You may not want to buy another board, but make no mistake, that is where the performance is being lost.

Luckily I wont have to buy a new board, since I still have the IC7. I need to RMA it though, since it is very flaky at the moment. Doesnt always post or detect the CPU.

I got the SiS mobo to hold me over while the Abit was in for RMA, but I put it off for lack of time. So I'll have to make time and get the mobo sent in, so I can get the most out of this CPU again.

Back