• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

939 boards with agp and x2 compatable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OBLIVIONLORD

Im looking for this type of setup and was wondering if any of the older 939 boards with AGP slots had any bios updates that run the X2 or if its strickly within the newer boards with PCI-E. I didnt want to search each manufacturer site and spend alot of time on this which is why I'm asking here just to see if its something you all would know off the top of your heads.

OBLIVIONLORD said:
Im looking for this type of setup and was wondering if any of the older 939 boards with AGP slots had any bios updates that run the X2 or if its strickly within the newer boards with PCI-E. I didnt want to search each manufacturer site and spend alot of time on this which is why I'm asking here just to see if its something you all would know off the top of your heads.
All of them should have updates by now to support the X2s. What board were you looking at specificly?

Yep should be compatibile. Just try to buy the newest verison/revision of the motherboard. Also do a bios update when you get it.

The Neo2 will support an X2. You may want to check the msi board as it's a pretty quirky board. There will be ULI boards that support agp and pci-e coming out soon. You may want to wait as the NF3's as group have quite a few issues.

OBLIVIONLORD said:

I didn't quite get you ?but if you are looking for a good 939 true agp mobo, Abit just put out this ULi board selling for $75 @newegg. Great OC features.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127223

is there a diffrence in performance between that Abit board and the Neo2? Seems wierd that this new board sells for 75$ and the neo2 plat still goes for 120$.

From what I can see this Abit board seems far inferior to the Neo2 Plat. The Audio codec of 8 channels vs 5, the number of overall ports for sata and such, Firewire which the Abit doesnt offer. Then again its nearly double the price of the Abit board.

How is the Nforce3 performance vs the ULI1689? The ULI1695 looks promising in performance even against the Nforce4 but, I don't know about the 1689.

Last edited:
OBLIVIONLORD said:
is there a diffrence in performance between that Abit board and the Neo2? Seems wierd that this new board sells for 75$ and the neo2 plat still goes for 120$.

From what I can see this Abit board seems far inferior to the Neo2 Plat. The Audio codec of 8 channels vs 5, the number of overall ports for sata and such, Firewire which the Abit doesnt offer. Then again its nearly double the price of the Abit board.

How is the Nforce3 performance vs the ULI1689? The ULI1695 looks promising in performance even against the Nforce4 but, I don't know about the 1689.

I bought chaintech S1689 (ULi1689) Good board but only 232 fsb for OC.
and I have it maxed w/ no problem.
The reason I said ABit is a good board (for AGP) is because it has better OC options than mine.
If you are interested I have several benchmarks for my setting and be glad to
post them for you to see if any good or meet your expectations.

how is the performance of the abit stock vs stock against the chaintech? 232fsb is fine for me since my ram can get to that and nothing higher. Cheap ram i have hehe

OBLIVIONLORD said:
how is the performance of the abit stock vs stock against the chaintech? 232fsb is fine for me since my ram can get to that and nothing higher. Cheap ram i have hehe
I am getting decent perfomance as you can see in this report.
I bought my chaintech thru. mwave.com for $55
The report is in zip file 62K
just a note: if you decided to buy chaintech, the dual installation is same color dimms and side by side, not 1-3,2-4 like other mobo.
also download the manual and drivers because what they sent w/ the package is old.
if you look at the manual and the section to attach the TXT switches(panel switches, power switch, led, hdd, etc) rotate the page 90 degree clockwise and the pins will be oriented coresponding to mobo.
I wrote this because when you look at newegg reviews you 'll see many have complaint for lack of correct instruction/info.

OBLIVIONLORD said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128307

I was looking into that board which also has the 1689 just as your chaintech. How would either of these boards perform in comparison to the Neo2 MSI stock vs stock?

That Gigabyte is almost same as chaintech w/ 232 fsb option. Gigabyte also has window tweaking utility. w/ $9 more I would probably get Abit since its fsb tweaking goes as high as 400. I don’t know much about MSI. Is it 8x AGP?
ULi 1689 has 8x AGP and for what I know suppose to be better than Nvedia NF3. If you review my Everest benchmark, You’ll see that I have gotten pretty good result for my chaintech. And this chaintech mobo is stable
I have done various tweaking w/ no problem.
You might want to get hold of some MSI benchmarks and compare it to mine and see which is better.
Since Abit has a much more bios options for tweaking for the same chip(Uli1689) I am hoping down the line chaintech will update bios for better tweaking, i.e., higher fsb. If you can wait ULi 1695 is going to hit US market soon (already available in Asia and Europe). For what I have read the ULi 1695 is a very good chipset. anandtech has a review on it and worries Nvedia.
ULi1695 has AGP and PCIe on it and both (AGP/PCIe) performed side by side.
But for the money existing AGP owners should consider chaintech, gigabyte or Abit ULi1689 versus nvedia nf3.

Well I went ahead and hot flashed the abit bios since it is same chipset(uli1689) and it worked. I was able to raise my cpu fsb up to 255 giving me ~2300mhz. as you can see in this report my scores are higher and ram shows as pc4100. But unfortunately there was a modem driver conflict and could not log to internet. DSL or cable connection may work but for now I use
56k modem.
I flashed my bios back to its origin. But at least I know, if chaintech upgrades the bios for better OC, this ULi1689 can overclocks higher maybe 270 fsb since I was able to do it up to 255 w/ only a few tries, and an un-conformed bios.

so far i can see only ASRock for ULi 1695 cs... any news on some other makers?

ochungry, you hot-flashed your board with bios from another maker and your board lived to post... i commend your heroism :p

rseven said:
The Neo2 will support an X2. You may want to check the msi board as it's a pretty quirky board. There will be ULI boards that support agp and pci-e coming out soon. You may want to wait as the NF3's as group have quite a few issues.

Rseven,
Looks like newegg just listed ASrock ULi1695. Only $68 and apparently nice OC features, AGP, PCIe, SATA II and upgrade to 940
Hopefully Nvedia price declines now that a formidable competition is a challenge
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

mcoleg said:
so far i can see only ASRock for ULi 1695 cs... any news on some other makers?

ochungry, you hot-flashed your board with bios from another maker and your board lived to post... i commend your heroism :p
Thanks for the complement(Rseven too).
I wish everything would have worked. Thanks to the stickies here, I followed instructions and used the /f key. without this key it would say boot block.
Hay, I am here with you gurus and am learning a lot-bravery is the first ingredient in this arena.

ochungry said:
Thanks for the complement(Rseven too).
I wish everything would have worked. Thanks to the stickies here, I followed instructions and used the /f key. without this key it would say boot block.
Hay, I am here with you gurus and am learning a lot-bravery is the first ingredient in this arena.
I am less brave than I am stupid. Many times I will do risky things more out of ignorance than bravery, but you are correct, no guts, no glory.
If ASRock has this board out some of the quality companies should follow suit. It is very exciting to have a new player ion the game and we should all benefit.

rseven said:
I am less brave than I am stupid. Many times I will do risky things more out of ignorance than bravery, but you are correct, no guts, no glory.
If ASRock has this board out some of the quality companies should follow suit. It is very exciting to have a new player ion the game and we should all benefit.

Rseven,
looking at your sig, I would'nt call myself that.
I am just anxious to know if this uli1695 is a good OC chip and actually tested in the real world by some members here, and elsewhere.

Back