• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hanging at POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda

My daughters machine is hanging at the POST right when "Detecting IDE Drives..." begins. I have removed both the DVD and CD ROMS with no change. I also cannot enter setup on the mobo.

Specs:
EP-8RGM31
1700 T'Bred B
60G Maxtor
512 pc2700

School started today and she will need this rig running again soon.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Cuda

Thanks, actually I just swapped out the hdd with an old 10 gig I had in a box. Looks like the Maxtor took a crap. I'm not leaving the 10 gig in. I'll get her a nice 80 gig or so and maybe a new cd burner too.
Why is it everytime you crack the case you just HAVE to upgrade?

Cuda said:
Thanks, actually I just swapped out the hdd with an old 10 gig I had in a box. Looks like the Maxtor took a crap. I'm not leaving the 10 gig in. I'll get her a nice 80 gig or so and maybe a new cd burner too.
Why is it everytime you crack the case you just HAVE to upgrade?
have you tried to reformat your maxtor?
also check the pins for setting primary/slave, maybe came off or not sitting in.

The drive is not responding at all. It's five years old, time for retirement anyway...besides, I already cracked the case :) Of course, I could always give her the drive from MY machine, and get a new drive for me...

Back