• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

switching clients win2k -> RH linux. PPD loss?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nahmus

Hi all,
I need a linux box so i'm thinking about taking my dual Xeon (nonHT) win2k box and converting it to linux. Was wondering what client to use and will there be a PPD loss. any advise would be welcomed!

It has been a while since I have run Linux, but I am thinking of putting it on my comp again since the school has been getting so Nazi-ish about having all the latest microsoft updates installed and running or the computer won't access the network.

One thing I can remember is that there was no ppd loss running linux. If it is slim enough on resources running on your computer, it may actually give you a gain. I know windows 2000 pro with sp4 and windows XP with SP2 don't sun as speedy as they could and are bloated so they may run less ppd. All of this is pretty minor though. As to what client to use, you have me beat. You could try Arkaine32's linux he works on to try it out, but if you want it to be your main OS, I don't know.

The 5.0x client is supposed to have no difference between Windows and Linux.

ou can run dual instances? I'd be loading this on a xenon dully.

I've only tried it on a single cpu rig, but that's surely a good question. I've got ah, several duallies so I'll try it on one of them and report back. My guess would be YES, tho'. ;)

with overclockix, it has support for up to at least 10 processors, and it may be more now. It auto detects how many you have and will start up that many F@H sequences for you, and it even auto-sets the flags to help you get the most PPD out of your rig

I need to stick with redhat. I'm getting alot of work now in linux as one of my main accounts is switching from SCO openserver to RH enterprise. I have the regular version of RedHat but I'm not sure it supports dual processors. guess I'll find out

Back