• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit guru

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pontypool

Registered
Can someone explain the display?
I want to overclock so I can convert movies faster, which parts of the interface represent which piece of hardware? is vcore > clock speed?

Here is my system
abit an8 ultra
amd 64 3200 venice core
ocz platinum ddr 400 2.2.3 revision 2 1 gigabyte

vcore is how much voltage your cpu is getting not its clock speed :p give us a screenshot and we can then walk you through everything in the uguru panel, i would be able to do it without a screen but its been a while since my an7 and my an8 fatal1ty sli isnt here yet :p

Ok here it is.. the "softmenu" is where I can customize my overclocking.
Btw, I knew vcore was voltage for cpu, i just figured more voltage = more performance?

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 387
I'd highly reccomend coing from the BIOS so you don't suddenly kill your windows partition and everything on it.

ExtClk=Front side bus
PCIEclk= PCI Express bus clock. Don't touch it.
DDRV= voltage going to the memory or vdimm.
VNF4= chipset voltage
VHT= Hypertransport bus voltage
DDRVTT= ddr termination voltage. I'm not sure the specifics of it, only that keeping it at 1/2 vdimm or DDR/2 is the best way to go
No clue on the others.

Increasing voltage alone will do nothing for performance and kill your componets faster.

Then general rule of thumb when you overclock is the higher the fsb and/or CPU clock the more voltage it will take and the looser memory timings required. Make small changes in the FSB and follow this stability guide: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=335813

If your OC fails, make small adjustments in the vcore, ddrv, and vht. Also make sure your CPU isn't going above 60C when running a stability test and make sure your PSU rails aren't dropping really low.

See how far you can go on your own and then I'm sure someone here can help you push it further. Good luck.

24 hours for a stress test? damn... testing the computer by putting under vigorous 100 % cpu load for a full day, even if it passes the test your wearing your components down, that's like driving your car around for a full day at top speed....
Anyway that's impossible, the computer keeps my gf awake, so the most I could possibly do it was 16 hours but I don't feel right about keeping it on when I am out of the house either (my grandad was a fireman) is it really worth doing the test just for say, 6 hours? hopefully that's better than nothing.
I only quickly browsed through the 3 step stability test, but what exactly do you do if the program finds an error? stop over clocking? or if you wasn't to begin with underclock / add more voltage? I am quite sure this guide doesn't say what to do really.
in any case, I was just wondering, based on people with similar setup what would be an acceptable level of overclocking without pushing anything to the extreme YET..

pontypool said:
24 hours for a stress test? damn... testing the computer by putting under vigorous 100 % cpu load for a full day, even if it passes the test your wearing your components down, that's like driving your car around for a full day at top speed....
Anyway that's impossible, the computer keeps my gf awake, so the most I could possibly do it was 16 hours but I don't feel right about keeping it on when I am out of the house either (my grandad was a fireman) is it really worth doing the test just for say, 6 hours? hopefully that's better than nothing.
I only quickly browsed through the 3 step stability test, but what exactly do you do if the program finds an error? stop over clocking? or if you wasn't to begin with underclock / add more voltage? I am quite sure this guide doesn't say what to do really.
in any case, I was just wondering, based on people with similar setup what would be an acceptable level of overclocking without pushing anything to the extreme YET..

Overclocking will shorten the life of your hardware as well. So you need to deciede if it is really worth it in the end to OC.

Passing 16 hours should be fine, but not the best. Another good fairly short test is to fire up the newest game you have (HL2, BF2, D3, etc) and play for a few hours. If you don't crash then you should be fine.

If you find an error, you gotta play with the voltages and/or memory timings.

Ok.. the most I can boost the cpu seems to be up to 2040 mhz, a little over that and it blue screens me : o
I suppose this means I should increase the vcore, btw what are memory timings, sorry for the noob question, so I guess overclocking involves increasing the speed of something + the voltage.
Oh and hyper transport, thats something to do with the processor, so does that increase cpu speed too?

Memory timings are stuff like CAS, RAS to CAS, RAS that should be under "Advanced Chipset Features". I can't really help you adjust too many of those as I'm still using an K7 2600 mobile and maybe a 2.4C when my loan money comes in, and your system has many more options that I do.

Hypertransport is technically the fsb.

You really need someone who knows A64 overclocking to help you, as again I don't know much and really wouldn't know what to tell you to do.

I have been reading a few guides, correct me if I am wrong but :
My fsb is on 200 and my ram is ddr 400, but the actual fsb of the ram is 200 because it sends two packets per clock cycle, so overclocking my computer isn't working because the fsb is going more than the ram can handle?
according to the guides I read here ot overlockers my amd 64 does not have an "fsb" it has something called htt because the fsb is sort of integrated into the chip but the guide also stated that fsb's are usually 100? that's a bit dissapointing because mine is 200 which is already my rams "normal" limit.

This obviously means I have to oveclock my ram, so can I do that by just increasing the voltage to it? according to ocz website, the voltage can go as high as 2.90 without invalidating the warranty and it's currently set at 2.65 so presumeably it can be overclocked a fair bit.
but if I need to modify something else to increase the ram speeds which is it? is it any of the items listed in my picture? or can I only do that in bios? I would prefer to do it in windows, because I don't know what I am looking for exactly in the bios.

My fsb is on 200 and my ram is ddr 400, but the actual fsb of the ram is 200 because it sends two packets per clock cycle, so overclocking my computer isn't working because the fsb is going more than the ram can handle?

That first part is almost right, DDR RAM performs two operations per clock cycle. The next part isn't right, hopefully you are running your RAM in dual channel so your effective RAM speed is DDR800 and your CPU is designed to handle that speed. So unless you are running with a HTT/MEM divider, then you are running 1:1 and everything is fine.

according to the guides I read here ot overlockers my amd 64 does not have an "fsb" it has something called htt because the fsb is sort of integrated into the chip but the guide also stated that fsb's are usually 100? that's a bit dissapointing because mine is 200 which is already my rams "normal" limit.

That guide has to be wrong. You're fine.

So you just need to make sure the HTT/MEM ratio is set to 1:1 to ensure that the mem clock and htt clock scale together, and you're good to go until your RAM hits it's max clock.

Hopefully I am running in dual mode, I put the memory in the same colour code so unless there is something in bios to set I should be good, I will check out the memory htt ratio next time I am in bios, that option isn't on abit guru softmenu.

What kind of success have you guys had overclocking with the Guru software??

I've reached 2400 Mhz so far. It's been fairly stable so far and reboots into windows everytime when an OC fails and I can't complain.

What do you guys think about Guru?

I'm not a fan of it, i can get 2.45-2.5GHz and thats it, my dfi does 2.6 np

I thinkit sux balls right now... the sw dont work for me at all. POS

Back