• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation for a fanless, low power, good performance video card *cheap*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

I am on the hunt for a fanless, low power, good performing video card.

Must be fully DX9 and cheap as well.

Will use the DX9 for some low res graphical demos. Card must display a good output signal to D-Sub 15" LCD.
Card will be used to play old 2D games on a Sony 29" flat tube TV (will need a chrisp picture from the card).

This card will be going in second machine as in my sig. This PC run almost silent, so fanless is important (no cards will turbo tiny fans are acceptable).
Ultra low power consumption is also very important, want to be able to leave the card under load without using excessive amounts of power.

What are my options? Recommendations please. Thanks in advance.

Im sure a 9200 is only DX8.1

A 9800 is far to more powerful than what I need, uses far to much power/current and has a fan on it.

Sorry :shrug:

punkgamingmaste said:
radeon 9600 may be what u want, fanless and perfroms pretty good for there price.

Yes, but remember, not all 9600 are fanless, I think only 9600 se's and non pros are fanless. Otherwise maybe you can find a fanless 6200?

dan

microfire said:
Im sure a 9200 is only DX8.1

A 9800 is far to more powerful than what I need, uses far to much power/current and has a fan on it.

Sorry :shrug:

Most of the 9200's are DX 9 but they are slow cards, a step up from a fx5200 though in my opinion.

An fx5200 doesn't count as DX9 as far as anyone who uses them is concerned. I vote for a 9200, but it is not very good performance. What you are asking is very hard. Considering you said a 9800 was way too powerful for you, a 9600 would be the next step down.

Actually the FX5200 might be a good choice. It's DX9, low-power, and can be run fanless pretty easy. Are you going to play any modern games? FYI- It can barely do 30fps with Halo at 640x480. But some low-res demo's and 2d games shouldn't be a problem.

If your want an ATI solution I'd check out the 9500/9600 series. The 9500/9600 would probably perform better than the 5200. Just be sure not to get the SE version. If you can get the 9500/9600 for the same price or lower than the 5200, I'd go with ATI.

6200 looks alittle more costly, but newer than any other budget card?

What are the 6200 like, do they use much power, are they an ok card? This card look different to the other 6200 below.
http://www.sparkle.com.tw/html/product/nvidia/sp_ag44dh.htm#

There is this 6200 card, which looks alot different layout and 128bit interface, (but they state: Pictures and descriptions are for your convenience only and may not be accurate!)
http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=3788

Cannot find a 9600 cheap enough here in NZ, only the SE versions, they are over priced for the age and near the same price as 9550.

Can find 5200 very cheap. Found a 5500 second hand for cheap but it has a fan (wonder if I can run it passive?)

yeah, just low-res DX9 demo's and 2d games. Display output must be clean and clear.

Calidan said:
Most of the 9200's are DX 9 but they are slow cards, a step up from a fx5200 though in my opinion.

Not true, not at all. No 9200 is Directx9. The 9500/9700 core was the first to implement DX9 features. The 9000/9200 are cut-down radeon 8500's. Besides... how can you have some of one core support advanced features and others not?

And as for the graphical demos, what ones specificly? I don't think the performance of the card really matters too much from what you described. A 9600/9600se would do fine.

I don't remember the name of the cooler, but my friend has his 9800PRO -> XT passivly cooled. It works perfect even while gaming. His case has decent air flow though so that helps ALOT. If you can have decent air flow you should be good to go.

If you have pcie then look at the x300se's which is just the 9600se in pcie form basically, but if you have agp then 9600se hands down. Just get the 9600se and dont ever let the fx5200 cross ur mind again ;)

9600se vs 5200 power usage?

I know the 9600se is ~twice the price of the 5200 in my location.

I have AGP.

Whats wrong with the 9200SE? I have a cheap $30 pci card that played Pirates! quite well on low settings with no problems. Was a little slow at times but it played it well enough. Just remember SM Pirates! is a 3d game. :)

JT

One cheap alternative is a Nvidia Geforce4 MX440. It is what I use in my system, its old and you can probably get one really cheap now. Mine is 64MB, fanless and only like 66MHz. It is an AGP card, and I love mine. I play COD:UO (3D) with it, and get up to 125FPS. COD:UO is a fairly new game too, so if you want to play some good demo's, check it out.. The screen is also clean and crisp on my game. I have played Halo:CE and Half Life with it too, and both games performed very well.

Last edited:
Thanks but no thanks, the GF4 series is to old for me now.

Does anyone have a fanless Nvidia 6200 - 64bit version, what are these like? The feature set looks good, and I am guessing the output should be excellent?

microfire said:
Thanks but no thanks, the GF4 series is to old for me now.

Does anyone have a fanless Nvidia 6200 - 64bit version, what are these like? The feature set looks good, and I am guessing the output should be excellent?

You said cheap and fanless with low power.. I gave an alternative, and like I said it might be too old for you, but mine is only 2yrs old and works great. But whatever..

Back