• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

terran2k

The AX500-A will do perfectly. Keep in mind Vibe is a Canadian retailer - eWiz carries those as well.

im in the same boat im building my amd sysem with a 7800GTX and i have been told my psu wont do? I have a xg vigor 500w,should really upgrade if so to what? im not looking to dump over $100 on a psu..my new specs are system#1 in my sig and all the parts should be here tomorrow or thur.

you are willing to spend that much on a video card and everything else but not put aside enough to ensure that your system will run without any power issues. Logic sounds flawed to me.

where are you located? prices are different all over the world.

Know Nuttin said:
you are willing to spend that much on a video card and everything else but not put aside enough to ensure that your system will run without any power issues. Logic sounds flawed to me.

where are you located? prices are different all over the world.

lol i never make logic since i live in VA.Beach and the reason i dont want to drop over $100 is cuz im broke now..you dont think my vigor will be good enough?heres my xg vigor here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817167009

The 12v rail is pretty low in amperage, I wouldn't trust it with your high end videocard. Personally I would get a fortron 550w, real cheap from www.ewiz.com and then buy a fan 120mm would be my choice (or use one you already have). And then I would switch out the fan to have a quieter PSU. This can be easily done for under $100.

[Mudd] said:
you dont think my vigor will be good enough?

I would give it a shot, it's 19A on the 12V rail. My old Antec 550 Truecontrol is only 24A on the 12V rail and it runs my system like a piece of cake. I tested it with a Fluke DMM and the 12V rail stays pegged on 12.01V no matter what I am doing (including the system hog Battlefield 2). The 5.0 and 3.3 stay pegged too, it's all quite uneventful.

But if you do fire it up and have probs, then yes the Fortron Source Blue Storm from ewiz is the ticket.

System specs:
Epox 9NPA+ Ultra
Venice 3000+ @ 2250mhz
Evga 7800GTX
2x 1GB OCZ Platinum
74gb WD Raptor
2 x 160 7200.7 Seagates
Plextor 40x SCSI CD-ROM
Pioneer DVD-106 SCSI
Plextor 8x20 SCSI
Plextor Premium 52x IDE
160gb firewire external 7200.7 Seagate
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro (connects with a floppy connector)
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card
2 x 80mm panaflo
1 x 92mm panaflo
Arctic Cooling Freezer64
Alps Floppy

Know Nuttin said:

>>>>>>
100% agreement here. Can't say how many posts I've seen where they spend
months saving up for the very best CPU, vid card, RAM available, then skimp
on the part which powers it all, the PSU. :rolleyes:

[Mudd] said:
lol i never make logic since i live in VA.Beach and the reason i dont want to drop over $100 is cuz im broke now..you dont think my vigor will be good enough?heres my xg vigor here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817167009

Yes, but how broke will you be if you get an inferior PSU and it burns up your entire system?
Don't laugh. There are plenty such posts in the forums.
Lesser PSU often have inadequate overvoltage & overcurrent protection.
Which means any surges will be more easily passed along to the rest of the system.

woodchuck69 said:
I would give it a shot, it's 19A on the 12V rail.
<snip>

Problem is, those amperage specs are about useless. Brand/build quality is paramount.

Hopefully one of our PSU experts like OK Wolf will come along & give us
the scoop on the Vigor units.

Last edited:
seasonic s12 600 w psu recomended by thg and 159 at newegg or the 500@129@
come on, 65$more to ensure greatness.surely in 2 weeks ya can save up that much.

well troubles already!! i got everything together and go to boot up and *****!!!!!!!! dont know if its the psu or the cpu fan? when i go to boot up everything starts to light up and you hear all the case fans just start to spin but the cpu fan does nothing but it shut off in about 1 sec..is that do to crappy psu or is there a more series problem? and its shutting down as a safety measure? i mean if you look in the reviews on my psu theres a guy running a 4800+ system on it?

[Mudd] said:
well troubles already!! i got everything together and go to boot up and *****!!!!!!!! dont know if its the psu or the cpu fan? when i go to boot up everything starts to light up and you hear all the case fans just start to spin but the cpu fan does nothing but it shut off in about 1 sec..is that do to crappy psu or is there a more series problem? and its shutting down as a safety measure? i mean if you look in the reviews on my psu theres a guy running a 4800+ system on it?
Mudd, I had that exact problem with My Neo2 rig. It could be something is shorting. It could also be one of the power cables is hooked up wrong. For example, if you connect the power cable to a floppy and you are one pin off you will get that same problem. Try to back track and disconnect anything you don't need and check all your connections and then try booting. If that fails then remove the board from the case and place it on carboard and boot it with just the essentials. Good luck.

well i fixed the cpu fan it was jammed,my idiot self must have put pressure on it when snapping it on the board..but i just tapped on it and now it spins fine,but still for only 1 sec the the system shuts down!!! i have checked all my plugs and all is good and also have unplugged some parts to lessen the power need .....but it still shuts down in 1 sec,I think its the psu i guess ill go ahead and order one! this sux

any of these any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153015

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817193003

[Mudd] said:

Average, above average except for a poor fan choice, and utter garbage.

MGE IIRC has been known to use Youngyear and Wintech, neither of which fill me with glee (below average and average quality respectively), but still better than that Skyhawk/Deer unit.

I'll recommend the same thing I did earlier in the thread - Fortron AX500-A. Other good units to look at are the Seasonic S12's over 500w and the OCZ PS520.

I have to agree with Olkjahoma on this one. BTW actbuy.com had the Fortron for 80 dollars shipped. I'm not convinced this is a weak PSU problem . I think something else is happening. You could get a new PSU and still have the same problem.

Yup - Skyhawk=Eagle=Deer. They're better built than past Deer units, but still look like they're cutting corners everywhere. Considering past Deer failures, the fact that these things don't even turn the fans on until they heat up enough concerns me.

[Mudd] said:
what about aspire units? they any good and remember i dont need the best made just something that will last

Youngyear - below average. If you're looking for cheap and reliable, Fortron has that market nailed. You can probably get by with the new AX450-PN or FSP400-60THN, which can be found for really good prices, but I can't guarantee overclocking to the stars with them. Even the AX400-PN and FSP350-60THN should do - these are 350w units.

Average, unknown, and average. Really, you can do much better for that kind of money, but if you simply must have a Thermaltake, go for this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153022

It's HEC made, better quality than their usual Sirtec stuff. That 560w unit has too much 5v, not enough 12v - they aren't figuring out too fast most systems built these days need mostly 12v.

Back