• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Competitor to the 2405FPW?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
Is there a screen comparable or better than the Dell screen yet?

I have also been looking for something better. So far the only screens better are the Apple Cinema's but they want alot of $ for them. I'm not even sure if those screens have to be used with an Apple or if they will work on any PC(so long as the video card can support the high res DVI). Also I don't know how fast the refresh rate is on those screens. I do know that I would love to get my hands on that ultra high res 30". Damn that thing looks nice.

hyperasus said:
I have also been looking for something better. So far the only screens better are the Apple Cinema's but they want alot of $ for them. I'm not even sure if those screens have to be used with an Apple or if they will work on any PC(so long as the video card can support the high res DVI). Also I don't know how fast the refresh rate is on those screens. I do know that I would love to get my hands on that ultra high res 30". Damn that thing looks nice.

The problem with the Apple dsplays are you need a special 6800 Ultra (hard to find and very $$$) or a Mac to use them.

Also the Dell I'm pretty sure has 12ms gray to gray unlike 16ms for the HP and is also an inch bigger too. :D

thegreek said:
The problem with the Apple dsplays are you need a special 6800 Ultra (hard to find and very $$$) or a Mac to use them.

Also the Dell I'm pretty sure has 12ms gray to gray unlike 16ms for the HP and is also an inch bigger too. :D

Can that 6800 Ultra only be used with a Mac?

I think apple solved that problem...I think it's only the 30" that needs the special card....I think I read that somewhere.

Anyway...any competition is great in my book! If more and more people buy these massive 1920x1200 LCD's that means video cards are gonna have to increase in performance more quickly (which again is great for consumers!)

Nothing beats the Dell2005FPW and the Dell 2405 version as well.

The best bang for the buck, I promise you. :cool:

We have the Apple 30" and a Samsung around the same size at my work. They are great looking screens, but I think they're too big (I didn't think that was possible). They feel feels huge in a big department store, I don't even want to know what it would feel like in my apartment. They also seem to run a pretty low resolution which kind of kills the point in having a massive screen like that, but that could just be the settings the store uses. I'm not sure about the samsung, but the Apple is $3000. I can't really imagine anyone using such a huge monitor for anything but movies, and at $3000 you're better off just buying a nice 40" LCD TV.

I was up im my friends house the other day and I connected his 32" LCD in his living room up to his PC. It looked great, we ran it at 1280x768.

That's the only application I can think of for a 30"+ LCD monitor, like JU571N said, it is very very big. But it's perfect for sitting back in front of in your living room.

As for sitting infront of a 30" screen with your computer at a desk? No way...

:)

dell/sony/apple are def not the same lcd panel....

my sony lcd is 23".......if they were the same panel dell and apple would have released them long ago when the sony came out......

doubt they wanted to release somethign that expensive back then though.....

The Apple Cinema has a resolution of 2560x1600. No comparison to your typical 32" LCD TV. I have a 30" Sceptre that is 1280x768 and yes, sitting up close to it looks very very big. With that high res on the 30" apple I think you could get alot closer to it without the size of the pixels looking "to big".

Vulcan said:
I thought the Dell/Sony/Apple 24" widescreens all used the same lcd?

hyperasus said:
And which panel is that? Anybody know?

The Apple and Dell 20" models both use the same LG Phillips LCD, I would assume that the 24's are the same as well because of that but they may not be. I have no idea about the sony though.

Source

On a bit off-topic...I went check online about Dell.ca (for Canada) to see how much for a 2005fpw LCD. To my surprise, it's $899.00 CDN !! :eek:

Compare to Hydurai L90D+ for nearly half that price here - I'd say I might go for that price-wise. I do admit that Dell 2005 fpw LOOKS real nice...but for that kind of $$, I dunno.. :shrug:

hyperasus said:
The Apple Cinema has a resolution of 2560x1600. No comparison to your typical 32" LCD TV. I have a 30" Sceptre that is 1280x768 and yes, sitting up close to it looks very very big. With that high res on the 30" apple I think you could get alot closer to it without the size of the pixels looking "to big".

Exactly, LCD TV's don't have anything near the resolution of an Apple 30" LCD.

P4mustangtime said:
On a bit off-topic...I went check online about Dell.ca (for Canada) to see how much for a 2005fpw LCD. To my surprise, it's $899.00 CDN !! :eek:

Compare to Hydurai L90D+ for nearly half that price here - I'd say I might go for that price-wise. I do admit that Dell 2005 fpw LOOKS real nice...but for that kind of $$, I dunno.. :shrug:

I got mine a few weeks ago during dell's "5 days of savings" event (something like that it was only $599 Canadian with free shipping. If you are prepared to spend around that for it then check out www.redflagdeals.com EVERY morning for the next few days, they are running another 10 days of savings and every day is a different deal. It is at day 5 today and they haven't had LCDs yet, apparently they do this quite often so check their front page and forums until you get a good price, it has been as low as $520 or so. Alternetly call dell and talk the sales rep into a deal, if you don't like the deal call again and try a different rep.

On a side note I read that the dell 24" is a samsung panel not LG phillips like the 2005FPW.

Vulcan said:
I thought the Dell/Sony/Apple 24" widescreens all used the same lcd?
The apple, sony, and hp all use the same 23" LG Panel. The 2405fpw uses a 24" samsung panel.

Back