• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pie-rate's Puter Project courtesy of LIONS*LEADER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time4aMassiveOC

Alright then. Dr.Z got himself a new computer setup. unlike most of us here he had his pre-built by alienware. so he has plenty of questions now that he's joining the overclocking world. i refered him here since this is where i get alot of good input on anything i might want to know.

well anyway on with his setup

DFI LANPARTY UT nf4-D
AMD Athlon 64 fx55
1 gig ddr466
dual geForce 6800gt (not dual yet, the mobo manufacterer forgot my sli bridge, ********, complaining today, should have it by thursday if all goes well)
600W Enermax PSU
Should I manually overclock or use nVIDIA's nTune program?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

well first off what heatsink are you using to cool your processor?

how many fans/fan mounts does your case have? how big are the fans? they come in 80mm 92 and 120 normally.

what are your 12v 5v and 3v Amp ratings for your powersupply? what is the max continuous load?

what manufacturor made the 6800gt sli's? what cooling do you have for the 6800gt's for when you overclock them? i have a BFG 6800GT that comes overclocked by them and that thing runs really hot you may want to get better cooling before you overclock it. we'll see what the general consensus is since its not my area.

i havnt tried overclocking mine at all since i didnt want to void the lifetime warrenty on the already badass and expensive videocard i had bought by changing the heatsink to a better one

"pre-built by alienware"
I'm afraid you are incorrect, I built this myself. (All parts courtesy newegg.com... they own)

I'm using AMD's stock fx55 cooler, which seems pretty good. Anyone know where a review for that is? Also I suspect it's fan is running at a looooooooooow speed, is there any way to force it to go max speed?

Fans: 80mm top out, 80mm window in, 2x80mm front in, space for 120mm back

psu: enermax 600watt

gpu: XFX 6800gt x2 stock cooling

Cooling can change, as long as it isn't an insane amount of $$$

Don't want to burn out any of my parts (major problem if I do), so I need to overclock safely.

Last edited:
"may i ask WTF is going on here?"

umm, i email leader, he posts this here and tells me he posted it...
the top half of his post is my spec, and the bottom half is him asking me questions about it...

edit: oh and im also Dr.Z, thats my Jedi Knight 2 alias... he should only have used one of my names in the same post, that gets confusing...

I fail to see why a simple "My friend needs help overclocking his comp" question did not suffice and why he did not post himself since he just registered. Anyways, I do know what your question is, and I suggest you read these things called Stickies and use this thing called the Search function. Also, a good start would be getting the thread in the right category. I don't know why it's in the Motherboards section.

So if you want to keep this thread from being possibly closed, cut the crap and flatout ask the question you want, sans your conversation.

Pardon my rudeness, but I don't like these posts that make it seem like you should be a priority, that and 0 hours of sleep.

dunno...

edit: Oh and I believe he did ask his question of me, and I replied. You may ignore this post for now unless you have something to contribute to it, such as suggestions for how I should overclock. Until such time as the thread develops into something more understandable, (pardon the language) GTFO... (methinks I be flamed now)

Methinks this is a very bad way to start out your forum membership. Also, if you cannot post properly and use your head to find your answers before asking us yo wipe your *** for you, "pardon the language and GTFO". You will not find much help here with your disrespect.

Forums are what I do in my spare time when I'm not at home, and not doing anything. Meaning I'm not on my own computer and can't screw around with it, so I have to ask stupid questions that I could find out by myself if I was sitting in front of it. Usually when I'm in front of my computer I'm:
(a) playing a game on it
(b) screwing with it's bios
(c) playing a game on it
(d) doing homework
(e) playing a game on it

I apologize for my outburst, however, I don't see why people have to post things about threads like this that don't answer any questions and are just basically saying "cut the crap."

"I don't know why it's in the Motherboards section."
Where else would it be?

Perhaps an admin could delete this thread and I could start over posting myself in a more appropriate forum?

I appriciate your cooperativeness. For starters it could go into the CPU section if you want to overclock your CPU or the Video and Sound section if you want to overclock your video card. Even the General Hardware Forum would suffice. This is one of the absolute best computer forums on the internet and we'd like to keep them clean and well organized and in a friendly environment. The typical stuff. These are sort of broad questions so take a look in the forums mentioned above and you will learn quickly.

you two bolth knock it the hell off.

i was confused why the other dude was posting your questions, it was VERY odd.

and apu, if you are lazy enough to not give him help right here, why did you even bother to post?

next, Pie-rate, i would check out www.dfi-street.com for tons of the DFI board tweeks, tons more then even i could give you, also info on the various different BIOS's out there, and how they work and such.

i am not trying to give you the go around, but thats the same place i learned my stuff from,

but my first suggestion would be, upgrade the Bios, and then nab a Thermalright XP-120 for a CPU cooler with a medium to high powered 120mm fan.

also, the Ultra-D, the one i presume you got, does not come with the bridge, only the SLI-D, and the SLI-DR does.

next i would suggest finding a good way to cool bolth of those cards before OCing them, and then after that, get the latest vidcard drivers, i would suggest the Extreme G 77.77 Modded drivers, i use them and they are rock solid, you can get them here, www.tweaksrus.com

after that, just dl the latest chipset drivers for the NF4 board

now, to the next part, go into your bios, and look around a bit, you will want to be looking for your HTT/FSB number, at stock it should be at 200, thats the core of your OC, now you can up it in 5mhz increments, and reboot, do a quick test for stability, such as quick 1M run of Super pi. keep doing it until it wont boot any more, and then back off, until you can boot and run super pi 1m easily, and then do some more intensive tests, like Prime95 or something or other, there is many CPU burn in programs out there, so feel free to keep testing until you feel its running rock solid

now to play with your multis, a realy good thing about the FX-55, and all other FX's, is that they have a fully unlocked multi, that can go bolth UP and down, unlike the rest of the A64 line, that can only go down, so i would now drop the multi down, to say 8 or so, and push the HTT WAY high, until you cant stay stable anymore, then go back to your last known stable HTT setting. that is how you find your max HTT, with that you know what kind of headroom you have to work with HTT wise.

next, drop the HTT all the way back down to 200, and then crank up the multi to something like 14-16 or so, and then start cranking the HTT, this is a good way to find your max multi.

now after doing this for awhile, you will begin to see where the FX likes to OC at, most of the time its in the 3.0-3.1ghz range.

there you go, that should be a good start, and later, you can check out the dfi forums, the ones i linked you to earlier in the post, to figure out all the Ram timings, something that i myself is still figuring out

Last edited:
apu318 said:
.. a good start would be getting the thread in the right category. I don't know why it's in the Motherboards section...

So if you want to keep this thread from being possibly closed, cut the crap and flatout ask the question you want, sans your conversation.

Pardon my rudeness, but I don't like these posts that make it seem like you should be a priority, that and 0 hours of sleep.

what makes you the sectional posting authority?

what makes you think its ok to come into a thread and immidiatly make threats in your first post?

dont take out your lack of sleep on us its not our fault. we have nothing against you save the offensive things you say to us.

though his reply of GTFO if you have nothing to offer is not acceptable in these forums, he is new. you have hundreds of posts and should know better.

its sad that some people have to turn so negative when the whole purpose of the thread is to have a friendly helpfull discussion on the topic so that most everyone comes away knowing more than they did before.

eh, at least it gives him an idea of what to expect from some people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

his is a dfi board with a nf4 and sli, along with a fx-55 i think the dfi owners wouldn't mind seeing how his computer evolves.

by the way Dr.Z find out the rails for your powersupply for me.

a cheap high quality cooling solution is a xp-90 for like 25-30$ plus a 92mmfan of your choice you get a solid performing heatsink

if you really wanna stick with the stock heatsink you just need to buy a 3 to 4 pin molex connector and plug it right into the psu so it will run at full speed.

that is if its a 3 pin connector on your fan

for the videocards the new thermalright heatsink seems cool but i dont think you would fit a sli board lol you'll probly be heading to the videocard section for that answer unless they browse this way.

Last edited:
Time4aMassiveOC said:
thanks for the links and the time you spent helping us out shard.

sorry for me being kinda stupid at the first, i was just thrown off by how you started the thread, answering questions to questions i had no clue where asked, lol

but yeah, any time man

Quick question on basic overclocking...
I have DDR 466, so to get it running at full speed I'd need a 233mhz FSB... Is it safe to go straight from 200-233? Should I lower my CPU multiplier? Or is there a ram multiplier of some kind? I couldn't find it... I'll look at that dfi tweaks page that you linked...

PSU specs:
Enermax EG701AX-VE
34A 3.3v
34A +5v
18A 12V1
18A 12V2
0.8A -12V
2.5A +5Vsb
32A +12V total
Total Power 600W

Oh and how do I know when it isn't stable? This is the thing I've been trying to find out for a while, do I punch it up 5mhz or something and then run a stress test for a while?

I'm planning to wait for my SLI bridge to come and have everything set up properly before I start increasing my FSB, but I want to know EVERYTHING about it before I start, I do NOT want to burn an $811 proc, and possibly bring $600 in graphics cards with it.

you can run stress testing such as Prime95 and Super-Pi 32M along with CPU-Burn in etc. These will give you some sort of idea of how far you can OC and when you are starting to get to unstable grounds.

while only changing the fsb you want to move it up in increments of say 5mhz till you hit 15 then 3mhz till you bluescreen. bascily the way you know your max overclock is when it wont boot into windows the reason you want to take it slowly is if you overclock a few mhz too much past the point where windows wont boot then your bios wont boot either and you won be able to change the settings, so you will have to manually change the jumper on the cmos to reset it to default , which is not only a pain in the butt but you can erase your motherboard bios if you plug it in and hit the power button while its still in reset jumper position.

once you hit the bluescreen back it of a few fsb and run the program prime95

there are 2 versions of this program, one of which is easy to use 2 instances of the program (need to run 2 in order to max out the cpu) the other there is supposed to be some trick to get it to do so but i cant get it to work.

otherwise use one instance of prime 95 and use another stressing program like cpu burn in, people also like to run the program super pi alone or in adition to other programs to test stabilty.

a good stabilty test in addition to the prime would be the videocard bechmark programs like pcmark and 3dmark and aquamark. in the different yearly or biyearly versions.

the best test after passing all those tests error free would be just playing videogames and using the computer.

remember to lock the pci : pciexpress : fsb ratio so that it doesnt change you cant overclock at all without doing this first.

in my experience the hyper transport which is normally 5x200=1000( max's out at around 1100) which translates as maxes out at 225fsb before it will probly auto drop the hyper transport multipliar to 4X226=904 once its at 4HT multi it maxes out at 275fsb (4x275=1100)

in order to have the same memory bandwidth as the hyper transport bandwidth its nessisary to use a 4HT multi

so basicly when you get this type of AMD setup you want to try to have your processor multi such that you can use a fsb around or above 250 and be running at your max processor speed while using a 4HT multi.

however since you didnt get ddr550 or 500 youll probly have to run your memory at a ratio in order to achieve your highest cpu overclock.

i wonder if anyone has ever set the HT multi to 2 and run ddr500ish ram at 500fsb

Last edited:
Back