• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are (if any) the dangers of putting cardboard on a motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gessfk

dang it, sorry.. this should probably go in the cooling section that I forgot about. You can close this. I can't find a way to delete it

Last edited:
Balrog said:
Hey OCHungry!

How do you like your ULI board?

I've been eyeballing that one myself & wondered how it performed

TIA

Regards, Balrog
Sorry it took me this long to respond, I didnt notice your post directed at me.
As far as the stability and ease I am happy and no problem OC’ng up to chaintech's limit, 232fsb. But I would have liked more OC’ng ability.
I don’t think it's ULi's fault, because I hot-flashed new Abit's BIOS that has same ULi1689 and was able to Overclock up to 2300 (256fsb, 1:1) but anything after that gave me beeps and boot block message. I guess it had to do w/ BIOS conflict (not being Abit mobo). I was going to live with it but when tried my modem, it would connect but then a message" cant' find internet setting". I think this was driver conflict. So I gave up and flashed BIOS back to Chaintech. Abit Ul8 has more options than chaintech but $75, $20 more than mine. I am hoping someday chaintech upgrade BIOS for higher overclocking options. Newegg has the new ULi1695 Mobo by ASrock now and Ironically it is cheaper than Abit for only $68. The ULi1695 has AGP and PCIe express and is better chipset than 1689 since it has both options.
ULi1695 has gotten some good reviews by anandtech and Tom'sHardware, you might want to check the reviews.
All and All I think ULi will be a pain in Nvedia's ....SS, and will force them to reduce prices, and better for us having more competetion entering the market.

Hey OCHungry!

Thanx for the reply!

Yeah I'd read those reviews & had been waiting for the 1695 chipped boards to arrive

Looks to have some real potential

I would definitely like to re-use my AGP card as well.

Regards, Balrog

Back