• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big loss for me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
I just got home and got a phone call.

It was my wife at the vet's office. My wife had to take my cat Tinker to the vet. After they ran some tests, they found out my cat had Feline Luekemia, and there was nothing they could do for him. I had to have him put to sleep.

I'm hurtin' right now. I loved that cat, and had done my best to give it a good life and give it a place of comfort. I'd nourished it back to health as far as i could and spents countless hours trying to get it healthy... but in the end....a month after getting him, i had to have him put to sleep.

:(

I'm sorry to hear that Frank. My condolences to you and your family.

Ouch Frank, I feel sorry for ya :(

*insert group hug here*

thanks guys. I'm still hurtin' bad.

we are takin' my wife's cat to the vet soon to see if its affected by Feline Leukemia as well. Even if it isn't, i can't/won't get another cat for a couple-3 months until i am 100% sure that whatever virus caused it is gone from the house.

TollhouseFrank said:
thanks guys. I'm still hurtin' bad.

we are takin' my wife's cat to the vet soon to see if its affected by Feline Leukemia as well. Even if it isn't, i can't/won't get another cat for a couple-3 months until i am 100% sure that whatever virus caused it is gone from the house.
Feline lukemia is a virus? I had no idea.

i know.. i found that out this evening too... apparently there are 2 versions of it... one is communicable, one isn't... and we aren't sure which type tinker had yet...so we are takin' my wife's cat in to make sure

i don't know. i honestly dont' know. i had a cat die of it before years ago.... but that was the non-communicable one. i didn't know about the type that would spread until my wife got back from the vet and told me what the vet said.

It's a lot like AIDS. It breaks down the cat's immune system.

I know your pain. We just pumped over $1200 into our 12yr old minpin dog Nicole (who we had since she was small enough to literally fit in a tea cup) and she only got a miserable two week extension before we had to pull the plug. She had diabetes and went blind.

We've got her brother left, Macho, who still humps anything that he can when he can eventhough he was nutered as a pup :p

We've got 7 cats too. Vets have gone up as fast as gas prices and only the middle class can afford to give them the medical care pets need. Petsmart is supposed to have some good pet insurance for $15/month. I'll look into it soon before the next pet gets sick.

Last edited:
That really hurts, I feel for you.

I have 4 cats (two have just shown up within the last year) and at one time we had to put one to sleep. I forget what exactly it had but it could not walk very well and if I remember correctly it was in pain. It was pretty sad, but now we've had one show up about a year ago, and now a few weeks ago another new one showed up, so I guess I made up for that one we lost.

Actually I have a picture of the big black one right here: Samantha. She used to live inside until.. well it stopped using the litterbox.

What does pet insurance do?

Again, I feel for you and hope that the check on your other cat shows up good; I know it hurts a lot, you really get attached to your pets even if you do not really realize it at first. :eh?:

That cat looks, like not nice lol. When my mom was a kid she said they had a cat namde "pop-eye" because one of its eyes popped...she had a million cats, with her family.

Feel sorry for you frank...

wont be too long for me tho
I have 2 dogs that are about at the end...14 yr & 15 yr

damn man, that REALLY sucks!!

the wife and i have 5 cats and i KNOW if one of them were to fall ill it would be heart breaking to have to make the decision to put them down, but you KNOW it was for the best...

just know that Tinker loved you and that you gave him the best life you could.

ill give all 5 of mine a scratch under the chin and FOLD a few WU in memory of Tinker.

GOOD LUCK...stay strong

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Frank. We take pets for granted sometimes until something like this happens. After a while, pets become a part of the family and it hurts just as much to lose them. My condolences to you and your family.

Sorry for your loss. I worked with a veterinarian for six years. Euthanization was always extremely hard for all involved. FeLV is transmissible. Vaccinations as kittens are usually recommended for prevention.

Back