• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64's IHS: Take them off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luie

I took off a Pentium's IHS and it took me quite some effort and strength to pop it off. The Xacto knife's blade nearly broke. I can feel the amount of stress on the thin blade. lol.

Did anyone take the IHS off their A64? I'm debating to do that or not. If it's too much effort, I might just ignore it.

I have a E6 cored Venice from ewiz coming. The price lowered from $124 to $123. :p

A lot take the IHS of for X2 chips because there are problems with both cores not touching the IHS properly. Some also remove the HIS for single core chips too. You may see a temp drop, you may see no difference.

When making your decision keep in mind that your warranty will be gone and it is easy to crush the core with no IHS.

It's pretty easy to do it, all you need is a razor blade. Search for some "removing IHS" threads so you will know how deep to cut in.

I removed the IHS from my venice 3200 and it only made a 4C difference but on my X2 3800 it dropped my load temps by over 12C. If your looking for the best OC removing the IHS will help otherwise keep it on and keep your warranty intact.

Quest For Speed said:
I removed the IHS from my venice 3200 and it only made a 4C difference but on my X2 3800 it dropped my load temps by over 12C. If your looking for the best OC removing the IHS will help otherwise keep it on and keep your warranty intact.

Me and my friend did this thing around last christmas for our Newcastle 3500+ processors and the results were something like this:

Friends processor temps dropped about 10C and max clocks increased from 2400Mhz to 2500Mhz.

My proc... An another sad thing my waterblock didn't sit straight on the cpu and when I turned my comp on... Fans just gave a little hmm and then nothing. So R.I.P Newcastle and welcome Winchester. This little adventure cost me 255€.

So if you do it take care that your heatsink sits straight on the core. better idea would be some kind of a shim. I think the shim from an old radeon GPU would do the trick...

I have a X800Pro coming (from ati's clearance with "1010" promo code).

I've heard that ppl who watercool the X800Pro says that the shim is taller than the core. therefore, I'll be taking that out when I put the waterblock on there.

The problem is...
Is the shim too tall for the A64 Venice core?

I can't get mine off! The IHS is so tight onto the pbc, I can't slip in even a very thin double edged razor blade

Back