• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master 450W ACLY vs. Blue Storm 500W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I ordered the Cooler Master 450W ACLY about 2 weeks ago to build my first system in about 2 years since being overseas. I don't get home until November, so I have a while to go before getting started on it. I did some research on this PSU over several forums and it appeared to be a very good one, plus I found it on sale. However, I'm not coming across many praises for the Fortron Blue Storm 500W and am beginning to rethink my decision.

The PSU was ordered from Newegg and is still in its unopened shipping box, so I can easily RMA for a replacement if I decide on the Fortron. I'm just unsure if I really see the need. According to the specification of each, the Cooler Master actually provides better lines across the board.

+3.3V@30A, +5V@35A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@16A, [email protected], [email protected] for the Cooler Master with

+3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@15A, +12V2@15A, [email protected], [email protected] for the Blue Storm.

Now, I realize other factors play into this, but I'm not familiar how they apply to these two specific PSUs (afterall, I have been away for some time). I know the Blue Storm is tried and true according this forum, but I can find just as many stating the same for the Cooler Master elsewhere.

The system I am building will only be modestly overclocked, at best (possibly not at all) and includes the following parts:

DFI NF4 Ultra-D
AMD 64 X2 3800+ or 4400+ Toledo (still undecided as I have about 6 weeks until I need to order this)
MSI RX800PRO-TD256E (X800PRO 256MB)
2 X 1GB Patriot value
3 X 36GB WD Raptors
250GB Seagate 8MB PATA HDD
NEC 3520A DVDRW
Possibly another Lite-On 16X DVD/CDROM (Not sure if I will install this)
6 x 80mm case fans
Zalman 7000-Cu

I know this is going to take some power, overclocked or not. I just need to know which would be better suited (or if there are any better suggestions in the $60-70 price range to consider).

Thanks.

I'd have to throw my hat behind Fortron. Coolermaster (OEM AcBel Polytech) seems to be quite well built and reliable, however they have trouble meeting their ratings at times; an area Fortron units don't usually have problems with due to having some leeway designed into them to be sure they meet the label ratings.

What is most concerning is that these Coolermasters have continuous ratings that are far below (at least at 12v) what they should be for a dual 12v PSU. This one in particular is rated 12A on 12v1 and 10A on 12v2. While this is ok for non overclocked systems, overclocking could easily bring one of these down. The 460w AX500-A doesn't have that problem - it's good for the whole 15A+15A spec (though it bothers me a bit they now have peak ratings on the label too).

Edit - just reread and noticed that you're not planning to really overclock - in that case, the Coolermaster just might work. Only way to find out is to try it.

What about the Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V as compared to either of these?

As far as overclocking goes, really depends on which CPU I go with. The 3800+ I will overclock some - probably only shoot for the 2.4-2.5GHz range. The 4400+ will be very modest at best...probably only the same range, but most like not at all. I suppose I'd rather have the option than not.

So I guess I'm asking on your opinion between the Antec and Fortron. I like the price of the Antec much more and it seems a decent PSU.

I'm not too sure about the new SP2's just yet to be honest. The True 2's are electrically improved over the past units, but I'm not sure if that's extended to the Smartpowers.

However, I do know the OEM, Channel Well, fairly well having owned several. Good units in general and very well designed, but can fry a capacitor or two after a couple years in use due to not so good cooling and poor capacitor selection. I think I'd put them ahead of the Coolermaster but still behind the Fortron.

Maybe I'll just stick with what I have for now and go for the 4400+ when I'm ready to order it since I don't really plan on overclocking that one. I can always get a better PSU later on if I decide to overclock and have the CM around for a backup.

I appreciate all your help though. I'll know what to look for when I'm up for another PSU :]

Back