• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What HSF do the RETAIL P3 1 ghz (FCPGA) use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falkentyne

Those HSF's on the retail 1 ghz FCPGA chips are much bigger than the slot 1 HSF's...so big that i had to remove the PSU out of my inwin a500 just to put the chip in and STILL the psu won't fit! :)

And they (I THINK---but ive never seen a retail FCPGA before), the HSF's are also bigger than the slower retail FCPGA chip HSF's , right? Anyone know what brand it is, and how well it performs?

The HSF that comes with the retail P-III 1 gig CPU is an Intel made cooler. I believe you're right about them being bigger than the ones used previously on slower speed CPUs. Actually, they are a quiet, dependable, HSF that works quite well if you don't overclock the CPU. If you plan on overclocking, then my advice is to definitely invest in a better CPU cooler. At the very least, use a good thermal paste instead of that crappy heat tape that usually comes with them.

Back