• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HEEEELP I did the D to SLI-D mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pie-rate

I did the D to SLI-D mod, and when I turn it on, one diagnostic light flashes off and on and there's no video output.

WHAT DO I DO?!? Did I fry my chipset?

So far my only experience with modding and overclocking has been broken parts and headaches.

Please HELP!

I shouldn't have done that, I should've just sent it back and got the SLI one and now its too late

This problem only happens when it has a graphics card in it, if I don't put one in, all the lights turn off like they're supposed to.
I also reset my CMOS.
About to try it with 2 GPUs and see what happens.
According to replies to the thread about modding it (it's the first sticky on this forum), it should just work. But it doesn't, so I suppose I fried it? If so is the only way to fix it to buy another one?

PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEE HEEEEELP, I wanna get this thing running (WITH a graphics card on it) before the first assignment for my Programming Languages class.

Would definitely be simpler and easier to just buy an SLI, if anyone thinking about getting an SLI-D and modding it is reading this.

It booted with 2, no reason why it'd do that...
I still want it to be usable with one, so I still want to resolve this.

It still says NForce4 standard on the boot up screen. So I didn't do it right or what?

Now when Windoze XP starts up the screen just goes blank.
Monitor doesn't go into standby, its just black.

Also of note:
The keyboard shortcut combination to shut windows down turns the computer off.

you could try taking the od off, and check that the jumpers are all in correct positions and that they are on right, not with a pin in the middle and outside, i believe isaw someone do that in a thread. could try just removing the bridge you made for the mod, and see if it works. then you could redo it and see how that goes.

Ah finally, after 2 hours a post by someone other than me.

Yes I'm almost to the point of giving up and changing it back. If it doesn't work after that I'll know I fried it.

All my SLI jumpers are set to SLI.

ooh ooh I just thought of something, safe mode! I'm gonna try that...

How would I make Windows use its generic VGA drivers? Just uninstall the nVidia ones?

Pie-rate said:
ooh ooh I just thought of something, safe mode! I'm gonna try that...

How would I make Windows use its generic VGA drivers? Just uninstall the nVidia ones?

why do you need to do this? anyways, safemode uses windows vga drivers anyways, so no worries. and i doubt that you fried your chipset by using a pencil on it.. you will get it worked out.. :)

There is an edit button you know?
But its so much faster to post again...

why do you need to do this? anyways, safemode uses windows vga drivers anyways, so no worries. and i doubt that you fried your chipset by using a pencil on it.. you will get it worked out..
It works in safe mode.

I figured it might be a software problem and if it is, reinstalling the drivers would be the first thing to do.

Ok I erased the mod (literally) and it works w/ 1 GPU now.
Is there any way to do it better than a pencil? I don't want it to be irreversable, like it would be with a conductive pen.
So, temporary reliable way of doing it before making it permanent?
Oh and theres one thing I noticed, on the NF4-D theres a chip missing right near the PCI-E connectors, and on the NF4 Ultra-D and SLI-D the chip is there. Can anyone tell me what that chip does? Has anyone out there successfully done this mod on an NF4-D and made SLI work?
Lanparty UT NF4-D:
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Product_Picture/LP UT nF4-D.jpg
Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-D:
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Product_Picture/LP UT nF4 SLI-D.jpg

Pie-rate said:
It still says NForce4 standard on the boot up screen. So I didn't do it right or what?

this is what it should say if you modded it correctly.
slimod.jpg

noxqzs said:
this is what it should say if you modded it correctly.
slimod.jpg

Thanks, it said nForce 4 Standard...
So I'm assuming my pencil was enough to **** it up but had to high resistance to make it work right...
I'm gonna try just taping some wire to it.

Well that is a cool mod, however do you have to use a #2 pencil for its resistance, or could you just quickly solder the two points together? Or you could probably find out what resistor you would need and make the mod super official :shrug:

BTW: please try to use the edit button, it helps keep the post nice and clean.

I taped a wire to it and now it works with one GPU, but it still says NForce4 standard. Do I need the SATAII mod as well for it to work?
No matter how well connected those things are it still says NForce4 standard.

It thinks its an nForce4 ultra now.

Oh and one of the reasons I'm posting again is because I'm basically using this as a log as well as a suggestion bin, so timestamps are nice.

The SATAII mod is working, but the SLI mod still doesn't.

I'm stuck on this, why doesn't it want to believe its an SLI-D?

Maybe your bridging other contacts that are not meant to be bridged. It would be easier if you can take a picture of your chipset with the mod to see what your problem is.
(Note: I have done this mod successfully without a hitch[except for the excess epoxy DFI left me grr, but that was delt with quickly with my xacto knife]
Note2: I skipped the pencil part and used a conductive pen, with toothpick to apply, off the bat).

The chip you are reffering to that is "Missing" is a SATA controller for another 4 extra SATA ports which have nothing to do with your video graphics. All DFI boards are the same except for the SLI-DR with that chip(Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Note: This is the first instance where I have seen someone repeatedly try this mod and fail. Interesting...

Back