• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Freezing forcing reboot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alik AlRahim

Registered
I've been having a freezing problem recently on my non-oc rig. My temp monitors are all low, averaging around 37. My x800pro is not overclocked and I have the latest Omega drivers. I reset my memory, all my cards, pretty much every diagnostic I could think of. I don't really know what's entailed in resetting my CMOS as someone else recommended but I did reset to default values in BIOS and reboot. I checked for errors in Sandra, I've been running prime95 for a while, I haven't yet tried memcheck86 but I'm pretty sure it's software related.

The problem started happening almost completely at random. I have all the latest windows updates. I did install a GTR Racing game demo that had starforce protection around the same time this started happening... I used an uninstaller to remove the starforce virus... errr... protection but this is still happening. The uninstaller 'says' starforce is gone so I don't know if residual effects are still going on. Spyware and virus checks (Norton, Adaware, Spybot, Hijackthis) all come up clean. I'm really confused as no error is generated everything just stops responding and doesn't reboot or anything. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I ran memtest86 for about 4 hours and had no reported errors so there goes my idea... Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Well it sounds like a software problem indeed. Why dont you format and do a clean install?

You check your logs?
type: eventvwr.msc into your runbox and see what it says under system and app

Good idea. The problem seems to be related to error 7000:
The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
I don't know/can't imagine what's the deal with this or why it would be crashing my system...

Im having this same problem to... just all the sudden computer randomly locks up and i have to press the reset switch.. ive reformated 3 times same hitch. mem test the works no errors... thought it was the psu but i played CSS for 2 hours no lockups... it seems its an extremly accurent and random thing thats happiening to alot of people.

10$ to any one who can help us fix this problem. Its ****ing ****ing me off!
My pc dosnt get shutdown normal any more..... 5 -6 lockups a day is ****ing sucidide.

Well I think the parallel port service not starting is just that you have a board that doesn't have a PP or that it is disabled in the bios, that wouldn't give you the stuff you are getting.

Usually the first thing to look at would be heat, make sure that you re-seat your HSF blow out the dust and see if it goes away, then I would say loosen up your mem settings, run at 5/4 and check, make sure that your pci is locked/fixed. But it may be all related to the virus you had, some kinda .dll type hell and a reformat/reinstall is the fix. Really those type problems are just a keep plugging away until you get it type thing, dont give up and good luck.

Back